I came up with this Persimmon Ice Cream because I like the idea of freezing bananas and blending them to make “ice cream”, but…I don’t like the taste of bananas all that much. So, I got experimenting and decided to freeze some other fruit.
I peeled and chopped up some ripe persimmons and put them in the freezer, waited for a few hours, took them out and blended them with some coconut yogurt. The result was a super creamy yet refreshing, perfectly sweet, soft-serve ice cream:
Not only is this ice cream absurdly quick and easy to make – forget the ice cream maker, you only need a hand-held stick blender for this, or a food processor or smoothie blender or NutriBullet – basically any blending device of your choice!
It’s also extremely healthy, as it’s sugar-free (there is sugar in the fruit of course, but if you compare it with normal ice cream…) as well as being vegan/dairy-free, so it suits a range of dietary requirements too.
You can replace the persimmon I used for this recipe with whatever similar fruit you wish! Mango works well too, or even a mixture of banana and persimmon (such a great combination!).
For this recipe, I used this dairy-free The Coconut Collaborative coconut yogurt which you can get in most supermarkets.
But you can substitute this with any other type of yogurt or any other kind of milk or cream – coconut milk/cream and almond milk work especially well, as well as regular yogurt/milk/cream if you don’t need it to be dairy-free. I find that soy milk/yogurt has too strong a flavour and overpowers the fruit.
This is a great recipe for when you want to cool down on a hot summer’s day but want something a bit more refreshing than a rich and sweet ice cream, or if you’re looking for healthier dessert options. It would also be great to serve at a dinner party – it’s really easy to make a big batch of it in a food processor and your guests will think it’s a lot more impressive to make than it actually is!
It tastes great served with just a sprig of mint, or you could add some berries or even a few of my Healthy Caramelised Nuts!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 (ideally ripe, but it doesn’t really matter) persimmons
- 3 tablespoons yogurt/milk/cream of choice – I used coconut yogurt
- Peel the persimmon and cut into small pieces
- Place in a freezer-friendly container and put in freezer
- Place frozen fruit into your blending device of choice along with yogurt/milk/cream of your choice
- Blend until the fruit loses its shape and forms a thick ice-cream-like texture – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- You could also try adding the juice of half a lime or grating in some lime zest!