This Vegan Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Ice Cream is easy to make, secretly healthy and requires just 3 ingredients!
I love that this ice cream is vegan and refined sugar free, but I’d still recommend making this Vegan Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Ice Cream even if you don’t have any dietary requirements. It’s so much cheaper, healthier AND more delicious than shop-bought ice cream! Plus the sweet potatoes are quite filling and will charge you with lots of sustainable energy.
Thanks to their naturally creamy texture and high sugar content, sweet potatoes make a great alternative to frozen bananas for homemade soft-serve ice cream. And because of their less distinctive taste (you really can’t taste the sweet potatoes at all once you add the peanut butter), you can them as a basis for different flavours.
What I find most appealing about this ice cream is how easy it is to make – all you need to do is cook your sweet potato, freeze it and blend with peanut butter and your sweetener of choice.
And there’s no ice cream machine required either. All you need is a hand-held stick blender, food processor or smoothie blender – essentially any blending device of your choice!
If you’re looking for more vegan ice cream recipes, you might like my Healthy Snickers Ice Cream Bites, Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream, Matcha Sweet Potato Ice Cream, Sesame Sweet Potato Ice Cream or Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love to hear how you get on! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! I’d really love to hear any feedback – thank you!
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato (about 200g/7oz)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter, to taste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener), to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small pieces
- Boil or steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork, and drain
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork
- Once cooled, transfer the mash into a freezer-friendly container and place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the peanut butter and maple syrup
- Blend until it forms a thick ice-cream-like texture – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve in a cone or cup!