I’ve written an article for University of Cambridge student newspaper Varsity about celebrating Pancake Day and I’ve included a recipe for quick, easy and healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet Potato Chocolate Pancakes! They’re also gluten-free and dairy-free!
Click here to read the article!
This recipe is pretty versatile as you can swap the Nutella for any other spread that suits your dietary requirements, or you can use whatever other spread you fancy – Biscoff spread or peanut butter also work really well!
They taste great eaten by themselves or you can also add fruit (berries work particularly well), whipped cream, yogurt, chocolate chips or nuts!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- Few tablespoons coconut or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 heaped tablespoon Nutella (or sub whatever other spread you want, ensuring dairy/gluten-free if necessary)
- Optional but highly recommended: 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pierce the sweet potato skin all over with a fork, place on a plate and pop in the microwave for about 8 minutes, or until the flesh is soft enough to easily pierce with a fork
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork until it turns into a smooth paste
- Add the egg and Nutella (and baking powder if using) and mix well
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and once (and only once) the pan is really hot, carefully add about 3 tablespoonfuls of the batter (don’t make the pancakes too big otherwise they will be impossible to flip over!)
- Turn the heat down and cook for about 5-7 minutes before turning over (they are quite tricky to turn over, but I discovered through trial and lots of error that the longer you cook the first side for, the easier they are to turn over)
- Cook the other side for a few minutes and ensure that both sides are golden brown and slightly crispy