I first tried sesame ice cream at Bone Daddies in London and loved it immediately! It might sound really weird, but it’s so so delicious and you’ll love it if you try it, I promise! It’s a popular ice cream flavour in Japan and probably one of my favourite flavours ever!
So I got to work trying to recreate a healthier, dairy-free version that’s also really quick and easy to make and doesn’t require an ice cream maker!
You probably know how much I love to use sweet potatoes for ice cream and the recipe I came up with for this sesame ice cream is very similar to my Peanut Butter Ice Cream recipe. It requires just 3 ingredients: sweet potatoes, tahini (which is just ground up sesame seeds) and maple syrup (or any other sweetener)!
It’s also vegan and you can even make it refined sugar free if you want!
It may sounds weird to have sweet potato and tahini in a dessert, but don’t worry it’s not just a sweet and icy version of my sweet potato hummus!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sub sugar), to taste
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into small pieces
- Boil for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork and drain (or pop in a microwave until soft)
- Mash the sweet potato with a fork
- Put the mash in a freezer-friendly container and once cooled, place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the tahini and sweetener of choice
- Blend until it forms a thick ice-cream-like texture – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve up and enjoy immediately!