Sweet potato fries are delicious. Sweet potato dessert fries are better. Sweet potato curly fries are EVEN better. But what about sweet potato curly fries baked in maple syrup and cinnamon covered in cream cheese icing? YES PLEASE!!
They’re also vegan, gluten-free and can be refined sugar free too!
These were inspired by imogashi (thin and crispy sticks of deliciousness coated in clumps of white sugar) and daigakuimo (deep-fried sweet potato covered in a sweet and sticky soy sauce glaze and sprinkled with black sesame seeds) – two Japanese sweet snacks that use sweet potato.
They’re also really quick and easy to make! Just put some sweet potatoes through the spiralizer. Then coat with cinnamon, salt, coconut oil and maple syrup, and pop in the oven!
For the cream cheese icing, I just mixed together some coconut yogurt, icing sugar and lemon juice. Try to get a thick coconut yogurt like this one from Coyo that’s available in most supermarkets.
You can also make a big batch of these to serve at parties, they’re so shareable!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: handful of pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (or sub maple syrup)
- 3 tablespoons coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Put the sweet potatoes through the widest noodle setting on the spiralizer (if the pieces are too long, cut into smaller pieces)
- Mix together the cinnamon, salt, maple syrup and coconut oil
- Pour over the sweet potatoes (add pecans if using)
- Mix well and spread out evenly across a baking tray
- Bake in oven for around 20 minutes, taking it out a few times to mix it around
- Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the icing and use either a piping bag or a fork to drizzle it over the top
- Best eaten immediately
- If you don't need the icing to be dairy-free, you can use cream cheese in place of the coconut yogurt
- You can also use the icing as a dip instead
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.