You might have heard of a dessert pizza and you might have heard of a mochi pizza, but have you ever heard of a Mochi Dessert Pizza?! Didn’t think so, because I hadn’t either until I made one myself.
This creation came about after I saw online that you can make mochi pizza with just a frying pan! And because I have a massive sweet tooth and I don’t eat cheese, I decided it would be best to make a sweet pizza!
This may look fancy, but it’s so much easier and quicker to make than a normal pizza, as well as being gluten-free and vegan.
If you’re wondering what mochi is, it’s made from glutinous rice flour (the name is misleading, it’s actually gluten-free), which is beaten for ages until it becomes very sticky. This recipe requires packaged, hard, rectangular-shaped mochi, which you can buy from most Asian shops.
If you’re based in the UK, you can buy it from the Japan Centre.
Or this Clearspring one is great too, especially because it’s made from brown rice flour which is great if you don’t eat refined carbs for whatever reason.
Although very hard when packaged, just a few minutes in a frying pan makes these mochi cakes turn crispy on the outside and melty, sticky and chewy on the inside.
To make this pizza, all you need to do is cut a piece of mochi horizontally into very thin slices, then place these slices next to each other in a frying pan. As they cook, they will start to ‘melt’, become very sticky and glue themselves together into a flat-shaped circle – this only takes about 5 minutes.
Then just top with your favourite toppings and dig in! I went for melted dark chocolate, chopped pistachios, desiccated coconut and freeze-dried strawberries.
But you can choose whatever you want! Other good toppings include any of the following:
Coconut whipped cream
The list goes on…
For more mochi pizza inspiration, check out my Bannoffee Mochi Pizza!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 piece mochi
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or coconut oil
- Few pieces dark chocolate (ensure dairy-free if necessary)
- Chopped pistachios
- Desiccated coconut
- Freeze-dried strawberries
- Using a sharp knife and a chopping board, cut the mochi horizontally into thin slices
- Heat up a frying pan and add the oil
- Lay the slices of mochi across the frying pan in a rough circle shape (make sure the pieces are touching each other)
- Add a tiny splash of water (about 1 tablespoon) and cook until the slices of mochi 'melt' and glue themselves together
- Once this has happened, flip the pizza over (don't flip it over before this happens!)
- Cook until crispy on both sides (this should take around 5 minutes)
- Just before taking it off the heat, place the dark chocolate on the top to let it melt
- Turn off heat, transfer onto plate and top with toppings of choice!