This Creamy Vegan Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta is an adaption of the Creamy Vegan Pesto I’ve posted about before. Just like that recipe, this one lets me eat something creamy without feeling ill afterwards, and it’s just as rich and indulgent as the real thing and infinitely healthier.
All you need to do is put some basic ingredients in a blender to make the pesto and add some milk of choice thickened with cornflour. I recommend a flavourless milk such as unsweetened almond (and of course, you can also use regular dairy milk if you want).
The trickiest part of this recipe is probably working with cornflour – I’ve found through trial and lots of error that it’s a pretty fickle ingredient that only works if the conditions are exactly right. You have to dissolve it first in a very small amount cold water and then only add it to the sauce once it’s very hot and bubbling. If you add the cornflour straight to the hot sauce without dissolving it in cold water first, it’ll form small clumps that refuse to dissolve and if you add the dissolved cornflour when the sauce isn’t very hot, the same thing will happen. However, if you do end up with a sauce full of clumps of cornflour, you can just tip the sauce back into the blender you made your pesto in until you get rid of the lumps and then reheat the sauce in the pan, gently stirring it, and it should thicken up.
You can have this pesto with pasta for a quick yet healthy meal that comes together in about 20 minutes, or use it as a topping for a pizza base.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions of pasta (gluten-free if necessary - I like brown rice pasta)
- 8 (oil-preserved) sundried tomatoes
- Handful of fresh basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Handful of pine nuts
- Generous glug of olive oil
- Pinch of salt + pepper, to taste
- Optional: pinch of cayenne chilli pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Splash of cold water
- 1 cup milk of choice (I recommend unsweetened almond milk)
- Handful of rocket
- Boil pasta according to instructions on packet
- Meanwhile, add all ingredients for the pesto to a blender and whizz until smooth (you may have to mix it around a few times to ensure it's all evenly blended)
- Put the cornflour in a bowl and dissolve in a splash of cold water
- Heat up a frying pan and add the milk and pesto
- Once (and only once) the sauce is very hot and bubbling, stir in the dissolved cornflour
- Add the pasta and mix well
- Transfer onto plates and top with a handful of rocket to serve