A slight adaption of my Pear and Dark Chocolate Crumble, this Mango Cardamom Crumble is also gluten-free and vegan, and completely sugar-free!
And what’s more, this version here is actually easier to make than a regular crumble! You don’t have to spend ages crumbling butter into flour and sugar with your hands, just put all of the ingredients (which are all basic ones that you will be able to find at your local supermarket) in one bowl in any order and mix together.
This is the perfect summery dessert – fruity, aromatic and not too sweet. The tropical sweetness of the mango perfectly compliments the warming spice of the ginger and the aromatic cardamom. Oats, almond powder and coconut oil combine effortlessly for a deliciously crunchy topping, whilst pistachios add a nutty sweetness.
If you’re not too fussed about keeping this dessert sugar-free, I think some (dairy-free) white chocolate chips mixed into the crumble topping would go very nicely.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 ripe mango, cubed
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 200g oats (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 100g ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Handful of pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- Optional: white chocolate chips (dairy-free if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods
- Discard pods and use a pestle and mortar to crush the seeds until you get a fine powder
- Place the ground cardamom with the ground ginger and vanilla in your oven-proof baking dish of choice
- Add the cubed mango and use a spoon or your hands to mix thoroughly
- Place the oats, ground almonds and coconut oil (and white chocolate chips if using) in a bowl and mix well
- Place the crumble mixture evenly over the mango
- Scatter over the chopped pistachios (they’ll taste nicer on top of the crumble as they’ll get roasted in the oven)
- Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes, or until top is crispy and golden brown
- Best served warm with (dairy-free) vanilla ice cream
- I personally felt that the mango was sweet enough for no extra sugar to be added to the crumble, but if you'd prefer it to be sweeter then add maple syrup or brown sugar to the crumble topping, to taste