A slight adaption of my Pear and Dark Chocolate Crumble, this Mango Cardamom Crumble is also gluten-free and vegan, and refined sugar free.
And what’s more, this version here is actually easier to make than a normal crumble! You don’t have to spend ages crumbling butter into flour and sugar with your hands, just put all of the ingredients (which are all basic ones that you will be able to find at your local supermarket) in one bowl in any order and mix together.
This Mango Cardamom Crumble is the perfect summery dessert – it’s fruity, aromatic and not too sweet. The tropical, nectar-like sweetness of the mango perfectly compliments the warming spice of the ginger and the aromatic cardamom.
Oats, almond powder and coconut oil combine effortlessly for a deliciously crunchy topping, whilst pistachios add a nutty sweetness.
If you’re not too fussed about keeping this dessert refined sugar free, I think some (dairy-free) white chocolate chips mixed into the crumble topping would go very nicely.
This crumble is delicious served warm with a scoop of (dairy-free) vanilla ice cream. It also makes a great breakfast, which goes great with coconut yogurt and maybe some extra fresh fruit.
Want more tropical flavours? You might like my:
Looking for more crumbles? Check out my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Fruity, aromatic and not too sweet, this Mango Cardamom Crumble is the perfect summery dessert.
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 200 g (7oz) oats (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 100 g (3.5oz) ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
- Optional: white chocolate chips dairy-free if necessary
- Handful of pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 degrees)
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods
- Discard pods and use a pestle and mortar to crush the seeds until you get a fine powder
- Place the ground cardamom with the ground ginger and vanilla in your oven-proof baking dish of choice
- Add the cubed mango and use a spoon or your hands to mix thoroughly
Place the oats, ground almonds, coconut oil and maple syrup (and white chocolate chips if using) in a bowl and mix well
- Place the crumble mixture evenly over the mango
- Scatter over the chopped pistachios (they’ll taste nicer on top of the crumble as they’ll get roasted in the oven)
Bake in oven for around 40 minutes, or until top is crispy and golden brown
Best served warm with a scoop of (dairy-free) vanilla ice cream
I personally felt that the mango was sweet enough for no extra sugar to be added to the crumble, but if you'd prefer it to be sweeter then add maple syrup or brown sugar to the crumble topping, to taste
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.