This Japanese BBQ Sauce Noodle Stir Fry is vegan and gluten-free and just perfect for a quick and easy but healthy and delicious weeknight dinner!
For this stir fry, I recommend you use rice noodles that keep their shape well when cooked. I like to use these Clearspring ones that you can get from local health stores. I also really like these Thai Taste ones that you can get from most local supermarkets in the UK.
For the seasoning, I’ve used Japanese BBQ sauce (also see Courgetti with Japanese BBQ Sauce). Japanese BBQ is called yakiniku, which means grilled meat. The meat is dipped in a special sauce called tare before being eaten (rather than being marinated before cooking). This sauce, which is usually made from soy sauce, sugar, fruit juice, garlic and sesame seeds, is sweet and full of flavour. I personally think the sauce also goes well with loads of foods other than meat, so decided to try it as a seasoning for a noodle stir fry.
You can either buy the sauce and use it straight from the bottle or make your own. My personal favourite shop-bought one is this one that you can buy or order online from the Japan Centre if you’re based in the UK. Most Asian supermarkets should stock some form of Japanese BBQ sauce.
You can add any meat/fish/tofu/egg that you want and add whatever other vegetables you want to the stir fry.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut into thin strips
- Handful of bean sprouts
- Handful of pak choi, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons mirin (or agave syrup/sugar or honey if not vegan)
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- Pinch ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook rice noodles according to instructions on packet
- Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan
- Add onion and sesame seeds
- Add the pak choi and bean sprouts once the onions have softened
- Once these vegetables are done, add the cooked and drained rice noodles to the frying pan
- Add the sauce and mix well