This Strawberry Chocolate Crumble is another perfect dessert for summer!
The oven acts as a transforming agent for the strawberries in this crumble, somehow managing to make them sweeter and more intense in flavour, whilst keeping them perfectly juicy but not watery. For the topping, I opted for my go-to combination of oats and ground almonds, and decided to add some cocoa powder too – after all, who doesn’t love strawberries with chocolate? You can also (optionally, but I highly recommend it) add some dark chocolate chips.
This crumble is best eaten when still warm from the oven, and I love to serve it with a scoop of (dairy-free) chocolate ice cream. My favourite ones are this one from The Coconut Collaborative and this one from Booja-Booja – they’re both completely vegan and free from refined sugar too.
Being gluten-free and vegan and naturally sweetened, this crumble is also healthy enough to eat for breakfast! In which case, I especially like to eat it with coconut yogurt.
Just like my Mango Cardamom Crumble, this version here is actually easier to make than a regular crumble! You don’t have to spend ages crumbling butter into flour and sugar with your hands, just put all of the ingredients (which are all basic ones that you will be able to find at your local supermarket) in one bowl in any order and mix together.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 handfuls of strawberries, halved or quartered depending on size
- 200g oats (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 100g ground almonds
- Handful of flaked almonds
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar (or sub any other sugar)
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Spread the strawberries across the bottom of your oven-proof baking dish of choice
- Place all the ingredients for the crumble topping into a bowl and mix well
- Spread the crumble mixture evenly over the strawberries
- Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes, or until top is crispy
- Best served warm with (dairy-free) chocolate ice cream