This Broccoli and Edamame with Sesame Dressing is a quick, easy and delicious side dish that will compliment almost any meal.
First, let’s talk about the Sesame Dressing. It’s inspired by this sesame dressing that I always buy when I’m in Japan. The dressing is creamy, salty-sweet and insanely moreish. I use it for absolutely anything green (lettuce leaves, cucumber, French beans, broccoli, spinach, the list goes on…). Basically, everything becomes 100 times more delicious drizzled (i.e. drowned) with this sesame dressing.
However, it’s not the healthiest of condiments, with sugar being one of the main ingredients along with MSG. Other ingredients include ‘thickener’, ‘sweetener’ and ‘powdered yeast extract’. It also contains ‘egg yolk’ for some bizarre reason, so it’s hardly vegan-friendly either.
So, I decided to make a version of it at home, which is cheaper and also infinitely healthier.
This version here requires just 6 easy-to-find ingredients and comes together in just a couple of minutes. The quantity of ingredients I’ve listed in the recipe here means you’ll make more of the dressing than you’ll need, but leftovers keep in a sealed jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and you can use it enhance the flavour of so many things! It’s delicious drizzled over any type of salad or any steamed veggies of choice. It also goes well with meat, fish or tofu.
My vegetable of choice for it is probably tenderstem broccoli, as the little broccoli florets soak up so much delicious sesame flavour.
I absolutely love edamame and have used it for lots of things, including pesto, risotto and a Japanese-style carbonara sauce, so I decided to add it to this salad too. Its nutty flavour pairs deliciously with the rich sesame aromas in the dressing, and it also adds extra protein and fibre.
This dish is also vegan, gluten-free and incredibly healthy. It can be enjoyed hot or cold, so it’s really easy to make in advance too.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 handfuls (tenderstem) broccoli
- 2 handfuls edamame (I use frozen edamame)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (or sub sugar or honey if not vegan)
- 1 1/5 tahini
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar is best)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons ground sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- If using frozen edamame, boil it in a saucepan according to instructions on packet
- Drain and place in a bowl once done
- Put the broccoli in the same saucepan with a small amount of water and turn up the heat until the water starts to boil. Then turn down the heat, keep a lid on and steam for around 5 minutes until the broccoli is cooked but retains a little bite
- Drain and add to the bowl with the edamame
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and mixing well
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing over the broccoli and edamame and toss together
- Leftover sesame dressing is delicious drizzled over any type of salad or any steamed veggies of choice. It also goes well with meat, fish or tofu.