As it’s the first day of autumn today, I thought it would be the perfect time to write about this hot chocolate. I created the recipe for this Vegan Orange Hot Chocolate in collaboration with the wonderful company Chocolate and Love.
I love this chocolate brand for several reasons – firstly, because their products are really good quality and so delicious. Another reason is that this Chocolate and Love Orange Chocolate is the only dairy-free orange-flavoured chocolate that I can get from my local supermarket. It’s also completely organic and coeliac friendly!
As delicious as a Terry’s Chocolate Orange may be, I also love how authentic and natural the orange flavour in this chocolate tastes compared to its slightly more artificial counterparts.
This hot chocolate is so rich and creamy that you won’t believe it’s vegan! My secret for making it so delicious is this Plenish unsweetened cashew milk that I’ve absolutely fallen in love with! I’ve especially enjoyed using it to make Golden Milk and it’s become my go-to milk for making hot drinks because it becomes deliciously rich, creamy and slightly frothy when it’s heated up. Finally, I like to add a small amount of cornflour at the end to make it extra thick and indulgent.
If you can’t get hold of orange-flavoured chocolate, you could just use your favourite dark chocolate and add some orange extract or grate in some fresh orange zest instead. I haven’t actually tried this yet, but I just realised that to make the drink extra festive and fragrant, you could also add some mixed spice – yum!
I was all about the Spiced Hot Chocolate last year, but this Orange Hot Chocolate is honestly my new favourite hot drink that is sure to see me through the colder months, which are fast approaching.
And please remember to go check out this Chocolate and Love Orange Chocolate and lots of their other wonderful products!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 cup milk, any kind (I like to use unsweetened cashew milk)
- Few squares of Chocolate and Love Orange Chocolate
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener of choice)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Melt chocolate in saucepan on low heat
- Add milk, maple syrup (and mixed spice if using) and mix well
- Keep stirring and bring to the boil
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornflour in a tiny amount of water
- Once boiling, add the cornflour paste and stir gently until it thickens
- Turn off heat and pour into a mug
- Enjoy immediately!
- If you can't get hold of orange-flavoured chocolate, you can use your favourite dark chocolate and add some orange extract or grate in some fresh orange zest instead