Tahini may sound like a strange choice in a sundae, but it works really well in sweet as well as savoury dishes. Sweetened tahini has a halva-like flavour, which pairs beautifully with the soft, juicy figs and rich, creamy coconut yogurt, whilst the roasted chopped pistachios add a nutty aroma, contrastingly crunchy texture and beautiful colour.
This sundae is vegan, gluten-free and naturally sweetened, but it certainly doesn’t taste like it!
I personally like to make this sundae with vanilla Coyo coconut yogurt as I love the contrast of the slightly tart flavour of yogurt with the sweet figs, but you could also use ice cream. My dairy-free vanilla ice creams of choice are this one from Booja-Booja or this one from The Coconut Collaborative. If you don’t need this to be dairy-free, you could substitute with thick Greek yogurt or maybe some crème fraîche?
This sundae is the easiest thing to make, coming together in less than 5 minutes! It’s great as a dessert or snack, but is also healthy enough to be the perfect candidate for a dessert-for-breakfast situation too – what better way to start the day?!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 figs, cut into quarters
- 4 tablespoons (vanilla) coconut yogurt*
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon date syrup/maple syrup (or sub honey if not vegan), to taste
- Handful of roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together the tahini with the date syrup/maple syrup
- Layer the figs, sweetened tahini mixture and coconut yogurt in your sundae glasses of choice
- Sprinkle over the roasted pistachios
- Enjoy immediately!
- *Substitute thick Greek yogurt or crème fraîche if not dairy-free, or your favourite (dairy-free) vanilla ice cream