I’m back with another delicious autumnal dessert! This Vegan Pear Dark Chocolate Sundae is a delicious, comforting dessert for this time of year and the perfect healthier way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
You may have already noticed, but I’ve recently got really into having healthy sundaes for dessert (like this Apple Pie Sundae and this Fig & Tahini Sundae). I love having cooked fruit of some shape or form in my desserts at this time of year, but sometimes making a pie, pudding, or crumble is too much effort.
I love the pairing of pear and dark chocolate, which I’ve previously used to make an almond pudding and a healthier crumble. So I knew I just had to make a sundae with pear and chocolate. I just love the contrast of the soft, warm pears and the rich, decadent, (2-ingredient!) chocolate syrup, paired with the creamy coconut yogurt and crunchy roasted nuts.
I personally like to make this sundae with vanilla Coyo coconut yogurt as I love the contrast of the slightly tart flavour of yogurt with the sweet figs, but you could also use ice cream. My dairy-free vanilla ice creams of choice are this one from Booja-Booja or this one from The Coconut Collaborative. If you don’t need this to be dairy-free, you could substitute with thick Greek yogurt or maybe some crème fraîche?
For the topping, I went with some chopped roasted almonds, but you could use hazelnuts, or even this Rude Health Puffed Brown Rice – these lovely little puffs are gluten-free, and made with 100% brown rice, so there’s no added sugar either. Basically anything with a contrastingly crunchy texture should work!
Incidentally, this sundae is also gluten-free and you can make it naturally sweetened (if you make sure to find a naturally sweetened dark chocolate), but it certainly doesn’t taste like it!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or sub butter if not dairy-free)
- 1 pear, cored, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons (vanilla) coconut yogurt*
- Handful of roasted almonds, roughly chopped (or sub hazelnuts)**
- 20g dark chocolate
- Splash of milk, any kind
- Heat up the coconut oil in a frying pan or pot
- Add the pears and a tiny splash of water and cook for around 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the pears have softened but are still retaining their shape
- Set aside once the pears have cooked
- In the same pan, melt the chocolate with a splash of milk - add as little or as much milk as you like depending on how runny you'd like your syrup to be. Add extra sweetener if you wish
- Arrange the cooked pears in your sundae glasses of choice, layered with the coconut yogurt, and pour over the chocolate syrup
- Top with the chopped nuts and enjoy immediately!
- *Substitute thick Greek yogurt or crème fraîche if not dairy-free, or your favourite (dairy-free) vanilla ice cream
- **Subsitute brown rice puffs, rice krispies, cornflakes, granola, or any other nuts