This Clementine French Bean Chicory Hazelnut Salad was inspired by the autumnal salads I posted last month (like this Apple Fig and Walnut salad and this Persimmon Avocado and Rocket salad). This one here is a slightly more festive salad that’s perfect for winter, and especially Christmas!
I initially tried to make this salad with persimmons, but I wasn’t blown away by the combination of ingredients, and knew I could make it so much better. I then decided that a slightly juicier fruit would be better, so I went with clementines, both for their amazing sweetness and Christmassy flavour!
I also added chicory, for its beautiful colour and slight bitterness, which contrasts really well with the sweetness of the clementines. You can substitute the chicory with radicchio if you want. Blanched French beans add a rather festive bright green colour, whilst hazelnuts add a lovely earthy crunch, and tart-sweet, chewy dried cranberries make it taste even more like Christmas!
The dressing I came up with for this salad was actually a massive mistake! I wanted to add a bit more pomegranate molasses and only realised after I’d started pouring that I’d picked up a bottle of sesame oil by accident! However, it was a happy accident, as the sesame oil actually made it taste really delicious! It pairs really well with the pomegranate molasses and ume-shiso seasoning to create a slightly tangy, sweet, and fragrant dressing.
I absolutely love the beautiful colours in this saald, as well as the delicious contrasting flavours and textures! The sweet, juicy clementines are so delicious paired with the crisp, slightly bitter chicory, tender French beans, earthy, crunchy hazelnuts and chewy, tart-sweet dried cranberries.
This salad is great as a side dish, but is also special enough to be the perfect seasonal salad for festive gatherings! If you’d rather make this salad into a proper meal, you could even bulk it out with quinoa, buckwheat, or Puy lentils.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 clementines or satsumas, sliced horizontally
- 200g fine French beans, trimmed and halved
- Handful of roasted hazelnuts
- Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate
- 4 chicory hearts (or sub equivalent amount radicchio), cut vertically into quarters
- Handful of dried cranberries (or sub dried sour cherries)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon ume-shiso seasoning (or sub balsamic vinegar)
- Pinch of salt
- Blanch the French beans by cooking in boiling water for a few minutes, then transferring to a bowl of cold water. You could also steam them instead
- Drain the French beans and add to a bowl
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and mix well
- Best enjoyed immediately