This one here is a slightly more festive salad that’s perfect for winter, and especially Christmas!
I initially tried to make this salad with persimmons instead of clementines, but I wasn’t blown away by the combination of ingredients, and knew I could make it so much better.
I then decided that a slightly juicier fruit would be better, so I went with clementines, both for their amazing sweetness and Christmassy flavour!
I also added chicory, for its beautiful colour and slight bitterness, which contrasts really well with the sweetness of the clementines.
You can substitute the chicory with radicchio if you want.
Blanched French beans add a rather festive bright green colour, whilst hazelnuts add a lovely earthy crunch, and tart-sweet, chewy dried cranberries make it taste even more like Christmas!
The dressing I came up with for this salad was actually a massive mistake! I wanted to add a bit more pomegranate molasses and only realised after I’d started pouring that I’d picked up a bottle of sesame oil by accident.
However, it was a happy accident, as the sesame oil actually made it taste really delicious! It pairs really well with the pomegranate molasses and ume-shiso seasoning to create a slightly tangy, sweet, and fragrant dressing.
I absolutely love the beautiful colours in this saald, as well as the delicious contrasting flavours and textures!
The sweet, juicy clementines are so delicious paired with the crisp, slightly bitter chicory, tender French beans, earthy, crunchy hazelnuts and chewy, tart-sweet dried cranberries.
This salad is great as a side dish, but is also special enough to be the perfect seasonal salad for festive gatherings! If you’d rather make this salad into a proper meal, you could even bulk it out with quinoa, buckwheat, or Puy lentils.
If you love fruity salads as much as I do, check out my:
- Thai Mango Salad
- Papaya Mint Lime Salad
- Persimmon Avocado Rocket Salad
- Mango Daikon Radish Mint Salad
- Apple Fig Walnut Rocket Salad
- Yuzu Dressing Persimmon Salad
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Clementine French Bean Chicory Hazelnut Salad is a slightly more festive salad that's perfect for winter, and especially Christmas!
- 2 clementines or satsumas, sliced horizontally
- 200 g (7oz) fine French beans, trimmed and halved
- Handful of roasted hazelnuts
- Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate
- 4 chicory hearts, cut vertically into quarters (or sub equivalent amount radicchio)
- Handful of dried cranberries (or sub dried sour cherries)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon ume-shiso seasoning (or sub balsamic vinegar)
- Salt, to taste
- Blanch the French beans by cooking in boiling water for a few minutes, then transferring to a bowl of cold water. You could also steam them instead
- Drain the French beans and add to a bowl
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and mix well
- Best enjoyed immediately
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.