Celebrate Pancake Day the grown-up way with these Amaretto Prune Chocolate Pancakes!
You can use whatever pancakes you fancy for this, but I went with crepes. I adapted the recipe for my Matcha Crepes, which substitutes wheat flour with glutinous rice flour. This pancake recipe is not only dairy-free and gluten-free, but it also yields a slightly sweeter, chewier, mochi crepe that I think is super delicious! You can buy glutinous rice flour in Asian supermarkets, or online from the Japan Centre.
But you can use your favourite pancake recipe – using one that’s dairy-free, vegan, or gluten-free as you wish. I added a touch of cocoa powder to the batter for extra chocolatey flavour!
This recipe is pretty easy to put together too – just whip up some pancakes according to your favourite recipe, or even just use some shop-bought ones to save time! Then serve alongside some Amaretto-soaked prunes and chocolate ice cream. I recommend add a little yogurt (dairy-free if necessary) to balance the richness of the ice cream and sweetness of the prunes, and some toasted flaked almonds for contrasting texture. A little sprinkle of cacao nibs add extra satisfying crunch.
My favourite vegan chocolate ice cream to use is this one by Booja-Booja – it’s made with cashew nuts, which are super creamy and taste like regular dairy ice cream. It’s also naturally sweetened with agave syrup. My favourite vegan yogurt is this coconut yogurt by Coyo.
I can’t get enough of the deliciously thin, crispy and slightly chewy crepes paired with the tart-sweet prunes, the rich dark chocolate ice cream, the light, creamy coconut yogurt, all rounded off by the toasty, nutty crunch of the flaked almonds.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 16 prunes
- Generous splash of Amaretto (or sub any other liqueur, ensuring vegan or gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour (or sub plain flour or gluten-free flour)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup any kind of milk (I like to use rice milk as it’s naturally sweet)
- Coconut oil (or vegetable oil), for frying
- Coconut yogurt**
- Chocolate ice cream (dairy-free if necessary)
- Toasted flaked almonds
- Cocoa nibs
- Place the prunes in a bowl, covered with a generous splash of Amaretto and leave to soak overnight or for up to a few days
- Add all the ingredients for the crepes to a large bowl and use a whisk to stir well. If the batter looks too thick, add more milk
- Heat up a small amount of coconut oil in a frying pan
- Once hot, add a small amount of crepe batter to the frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until crispy and slightly browned
- Repeat until all of the batter is used up
- Fill crepes with chopped up prunes, serve with a scoop of chocolate ice cream and lashings of coconut yogurt, and scatter over flaked almonds and cocoa nibs
- Enjoy immediately
- *Use your favourite pancake recipe, to make it vegan, dairy-free or gluten-free as you wish
- **You can substitute the coconut yogurt for coconut whipped cream, or regular whipped cream if not dairy-free
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.