This Creamy Vegan Tomato Sauce Pasta is super comforting, satisfying yet healthy, and really easy to make!
This Creamy Vegan Tomato Sauce Pasta was inspired by one of my favourite pasta sauces – tomato and mascarpone. I love how the mascarpone perfectly balances out the acidity of the tomatoes, making the sauce a little sweeter and milder, as well as adding a luxuriously creamy texture.
I’ve previously made creamy pasta sauces using unsweetened almond milk and cornflour, but didn’t think that would really work when it came to replicating the mascarpone. So, I turned to my new best friends, blended cashews, and guess what, they didn’t let me down! They add to this tomato sauce in the same way that mascarpone would, adding a mild creaminess and sweetness that mellows out the sharpness of the tomatoes.
But what’s actually better about using blended cashews as opposed to mascarpone is that they’re much healthier, they make the sauce super rich without being too heavy or cloying, add lots of protein, and they’re more dietary requirement-friendly!
This sauce is really easy to put together too – just fry off some onions, garlic, carrots and celery in a pan, add tinned tomatoes and cashews (no need to soak them as they’ll get beautifully soft cooking away in that steamy hot sauce) along with some herbs and seasonings, then blend until smooth! This sauce is amazing because you can leisurely make a huge batch of it and freeze into individual portions – your busy weeknight self will thank you for it later, as all you need to do is boil some pasta and you’ll have dinner on the table in no time! Leftover sauce is also great on pizza.
This pasta is great for a quick weeknight dinner, but also special enough to serve to guests at dinner parties. I’d recommend pairing it with a fruity salad such as my Apple, Fig and Walnut Salad, my Persimmon, Cranberry and Rocket Salad or Chickpea Mayonnaise Salad.
If you try out this recipe, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions pasta (ensure gluten-free if necessary - I used brown rice pasta)
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive or vegetable)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 400g tin tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Pinch dried oregano
- Handful cashew nuts
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Optional: a few bay leaves
- Optional: 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Optional: cayenne chilli pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley/nutritional yeast
- Heat up oil in a saucepan
- Once hot, add onion, garlic, celery and carrot
- Fry for around 15 minutes until soft
- Add paprika, tinned tomatoes, cashews, stock cube, oregano, salt + pepper (and bay leaves, nutritional yeast and chilli if using)
- Bring to the boil then turn down heat and simmer for around 30 minutes
- Turn off heat and use a hand-held stick blender or blender to whizz until smooth. Add more water if it's too thick, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Meanwhile, cook pasta, drain and mix in sauce*
- Serve onto plates and scatter over fresh basil or parsley, and extra nutritional yeast
- *Leftover sauce freezes beautifully