These Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes are the side dish you need in your life! They’re:
- melt-in-your-mouth creamy
- soft and fluffy
- so easy to make!
I spent so long trying to think how to make some amazing creamy vegan mashed potatoes and really wasn’t sure what the best option was…
- vegan butter/dairy-free spread – potentially not that healthy and taste can really vary between brands
- almond milk – too watery and not that creamy
- coconut oil – too fatty and not creamy enough either
Then I remembered…blended soaked cashews! Which are: irresistibly creamy, luxuriously smooth, seriously velvety but not greasy. They’re also neutral in flavour, and just all round absolutely perfect for this dish.
I was so excited to add the cashews, and so happy I did as they worked a treat!
The result was fluffy clouds of mashed potato that are seriously soft, perfectly rich and truly melt in your mouth.
For extra flavour, you can add some dried or fresh herbs – parsley, sage, thyme or rosemary would all work well (though not necessarily all together!). You could also try adding some roasted garlic (yum!) or nutritional yeast for cheesy flavour.
But, you definitely can’t go wrong with a good pinch of trusty salt and pepper and some delicious vegan gravy either. Here’s my favourite vegan gravy recipe – it’s easy to make and full of flavour.
For more delicious vegetable side dishes, check out my:
- Apple Fig Walnut Rocket Salad
- Japanese Potato Salad
- Miso French Beans Brussels Sprouts and Walnuts
- Potato Dauphinoise Gratin
- Broccoli and Edamame with Sesame Dressing
- Scalloped Sweet Potato Gratin
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
These Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes are the side dish you need in your life! They're melt-in-your-mouth creamy, soft and fluffy and so easy to make!
- 1.6 kg (56.5oz) potatoes (varieties suitable for mashing include: Russet, Yukon Gold, Desirée, King Edward)
- 100 g (3/4 cup) raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight in cold water or in boiling water for 15 minutes
- Salt + pepper, to taste
Peel potatoes and slice thinly
Add to a pan without enough water to roughly cover, and a good pinch of salt
Bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft enough to pierce gently with a fork
Meanwhile, drain the soaked cashews and add to a food processor or blender (or use a hand-held stick blender) along with 8 tablespoons of water
Blend until completely smooth (you may need to mix it a couple of times)
Once the potatoes are cooked, drain away the water and, keeping the potatoes in the pan, add the blended cashew nuts and salt + pepper to taste
Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until completely smooth
Add extra suggested flavourings if desired*
Best enjoyed immediately!
*Other delicious add-ins include:
- Dried or fresh parsley, rosemary, sage or thyme
- Roasted garlic
- Nutritional yeast
Also delicious served with vegan gravy
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.