You might have heard of a dessert pizza and you might have heard of a mochi pizza, but have you ever heard of a Mochi Dessert Pizza?! Didn’t think so, because I hadn’t either until I made one myself.
This creation came about after I saw online that you can make mochi pizza with just a frying pan! And because I have a massive sweet tooth and I don’t eat cheese, I decided it would be best to make a sweet pizza!
This may look fancy, but it’s so much easier and quicker to make than a normal pizza, as well as being gluten-free and vegan.
If you’re wondering what mochi is, it’s made from glutinous rice flour (the name is misleading, it’s actually gluten-free), which is beaten for ages until it becomes very sticky.
This recipe requires packaged, hard, rectangular-shaped mochi. You can buy mochi in Asian supermarkets, some local health stores and online.
Although very hard when packaged, just a few minutes in a frying pan makes these mochi cakes turn crispy on the outside and melty, sticky and chewy on the inside.
To make this pizza, all you need to do is cut a piece of mochi horizontally into very thin slices, then place these slices next to each other in a frying pan.
As they cook, they will start to ‘melt’, become very sticky and glue themselves together into a flat-shaped circle – this only takes about 5 minutes.
Then just top with your favourite toppings and dig in! I went for melted dark chocolate, chopped pistachios, desiccated coconut and freeze-dried strawberries.
But you can choose whatever you want! Other good toppings include any of the following:
- Nut butter
- Chopped nuts
- Sliced banana
- Fresh berries
- Desiccated coconut
- Freeze-dried berries
- Ice cream
- Coconut whipped cream
- Coconut yogurt
The list goes on…
Or if you want more mochi recipes, check out my:
- Matcha Sweet Potato Mochi
- Purple Sweet Potato Mochi
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheese Quesadillas
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheese Nachos
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheese Grilled Cheese
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Mochi Dessert Pizza is made using a frying pan. It's quicker, easier and healthier than regular pizza and also vegan and gluten-free!
- 35 g (2.5oz) mochi (the hard firm mochi sold in blocks)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sub vegetable oil)
- Using a sharp knife and a chopping board, cut the mochi horizontally into thin slices
- Heat up a frying pan and add the oil
- Lay the slices of mochi across the frying pan in a rough circle shape (make sure the pieces are touching each other)
- Add a tiny splash of water (about 1 tablespoon) and cook until the slices of mochi 'melt' and glue themselves together
- Once this has happened, flip the pizza over (don't flip it over before this happens!)
- Cook until crispy on both sides (this should take around 5 minutes)
- Just before taking it off the heat, place the dark chocolate on the top to let it melt
- Turn off heat, transfer onto plate and top with toppings of choice!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of these films, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.