I'm so excited to share the recipe for this Vegan Tofu Satay. It's super satisfying, just as delicious as its chicken counterpart, and also incidentally gluten-free and really healthy.
It all starts off with a very simple 5-ingredient marinade for the tofu, which ensures it's packed full of flavour. You definitely have to use firm tofu for this, not the soft silken kind.
But the flavour doesn't stop there, because I'm also going to show you how to whisk together a few simple ingredients to make an incredibly delicious peanut dipping sauce that you'll want to just eat with a spoon.
These skewers may look fancy, but they're really simple to make so they'd be great for a quick dinner, but also special enough for sharing at a party. They're great served alongside rice, or even cauliflower rice, and pair especially well with this Vegan Thai Mango Salad.
Looking for more tofu recipes? You might like my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Vegan Tofu Satay:
Vegan Tofu Satay (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable oil, rapeseed oil or coconut oil)
- 400 g (14oz) firm tofu
For the marinade:
For the satay sauce:
- Fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- Pat tofu dry with a paper towel, then cut into small cubes
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the marinade
- Place the tofu in this bowl, making sure that every piece is covered in equal amounts of sauce (you can either cook this tofu immediately or covered and put in the fridge to leave to marinate for up to 12 hours)
- Heat up some oil in a large wide-bottomed frying pan and add tofu once hot
- Fry the tofu for about 5 minutes on each side, or until crispy, golden brown and slightly caramelised
- Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the satay sauce. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning as necessary
- Place the pieces of tofu on skewers*, transfer onto a serving plate and sprinkle with chopped coriander. Serve the sauce in a small bowl next to it to dunk the skewers into
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.