Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Bread
This Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Bread is seriously moist, perfectly dense and subtly fragrant.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 60 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar * (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch salt
- 150 g (1 cup) zucchini (courgette) , grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) ground walnuts ** (or sub ground almonds/almond meal)
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 30 g (1/4 cup) walnuts , roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
Place the coconut oil in a separate large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
Once melted, add the maple syrup, vinegar, salt, zucchini, cinnamon, milk and ground walnuts to the same bowl
Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
Mix well, adding a splash more milk if it's looking too dry
Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper (I used a one-pound loaf tin)
Scatter over the chopped walnuts
Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes until risen and golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean
Once out the oven, leave to cool on a wire rack before cutting
Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - best reheated in the toaster!
*The acidity of the vinegar reacts with the alkali bicarbonate of soda to make the bread fluffy. If you can't get hold of vinegar, substitute it with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
**To make ground walnuts, place whole walnuts into a food processor and pulse briefly until you get a fine powder. Make sure not to over-blend as otherwise you'll get nut butter!
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1mg