Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Muffins
These Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Muffins are seriously moist, perfectly dense and studded with chocolate chips. They're great for dessert, breakfast, brunch or a snack, and taste surprisingly like banana bread!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 60 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar * (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch salt
- 150 g (1 cup) zucchini (courgette) , grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub any other plant-based milk)
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) ground walnuts ** (or sub ground almonds/almond meal)
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 g (1/3 cup) dark chocolate chips *** (ensure vegan/gluten-free if necessary)
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
Place the coconut oil in a separate large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
Once melted, add the maple syrup, vinegar, salt, zucchini, cinnamon, milk and ground walnuts to the same bowl
Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
Mix well, adding a splash more milk if it's looking too dry
Add the chocolate chips and fold in gently
Transfer the mixture between muffin cases in a muffin tin
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean
Tastes best when fresh, but keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days
*The acidity of the vinegar reacts with the alkali bicarbonate of soda to make the muffins fluffy. If you can't get hold of vinegar, substitute it with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
**To make ground walnuts, place whole walnuts into a food processor and pulse briefly until you get a fine powder. Make sure not to over-blend as otherwise you'll get nut butter!
***Use refined sugar free chocolate chips for a refined sugar free version.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 161mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 1mg