Vegan Pumpkin Soup (GF)
This Vegan Pumpkin Soup is rich and creamy, perfectly sweet and full of flavour.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sub olive oil, vegetable oil or rapeseed oil)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 cm fresh ginger , peeled and minced
- 2 sticks of celery , sliced
- 2 carrots , peeled and sliced
- 800 g pumpkin , diced and with the skin cut off
- 400 g tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper to taste
To serve (optional):
- Unsweetened cashew milk (or sub almond milk or oat milk for a nut-free version)
- Pumpkin seeds
Heat up the oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots once hot
Fry for 10 minutes until softened
Once the onions etc have softened, add the pumpkin, beans, stock cube and salt + pepper to the pan, along with 700 ml (3 cups) water
Bring to the boil and then cook on a low heat until the pumpkin is soft enough to pierce with a fork
Turn off the heat and use a blender or food processor (a hand-held blender also works) to blend until it becomes a smooth liquid (add some more water if it’s too thick at this stage)
Taste and add more salt if necessary
Transfer the soup back to the saucepan to heat it up again if you like.
Serve into bowls, pour in cashew milk and top with pumpkin seeds and herbs, if desired
This soup is perfect to make in big batches because it keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - just reheat in a pan on the hob (stove) with extra water if necessary.
It also freezes well - reheat in a pan on the hob (stove) with a splash of water.
Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 1323mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 22210IU | Vitamin C: 22.9mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 4.7mg