Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread
This Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread is super easy to make, sweet and buttery and moist and fluffy!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 600 ml (2 1/2 cups) unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 8 tablespoons (8 tablespoons) maple syrup *(or sub any other sweetener)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- 280 g (1 3/4 cup) fine cornmeal **
- 180 g (1 1/2 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 6 teaspoons (6 teaspoons) baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
Measure out the milk and stir in the vinegar - set aside for at least 5 minutes to leave it to curdle
Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
Add the maple syrup, salt and cornmeal
Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
Add the milk and vinegar mixture and mix well, adding some extra milk or water if too dry - the batter is much runnier than traditional cornbread batter, so don't worry if your batter looks runnier than expected, it will be fine when baked!
Transfer the mixture to a square baking tin (I used a 23cm/9inch square baking tin) lined with greased baking paper and bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean
Leave to cool slightly before cutting
Keeps well covered in the fridge for up to a few days, and freezes well too - delicious reheated in the toaster
*You can omit the maple syrup entirely.
**To make it corn-free, you can substitute the cornmeal with chickpea flour.
The batter is much runnier than traditional cornbread batter, so don't worry if your batter looks runnier than expected, it will be fine when baked!
Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 230mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg