Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Blueberry Scones
These Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Blueberry Scones are moist and fluffy, sweet and fruity, and rich and "buttery"!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 8 scones
- 60 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) ground almonds (almond meal) *
- 100 g (1 cup) fresh blueberries
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
Once melted, add the lemon juice to the same bowl along with the lemon zest, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, ground almonds and blueberries
Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
Mix well until a dough forms, adding the milk a little bit at a time to ensure you don’t add too much - it should be soft, but firm enough to mould easily. You can add a tiny splash more milk if it’s looking too dry
Line a baking tray with greased baking paper
Use your hands to shape the dough into a slightly elongated circular shape about 2 cm (1 inch) thick - you can also use a floured rolling pin for this, but I prefer to do it with my hands because it’s easier. There’s no need to use a floured surface as the baking paper works to stop the dough from sticking.
Keeping the dough in that shape, use a knife to carve the surface of the dough into eight - cut in half first, then each half into half, and each quarter into half again until you end up with eight even triangles. It's a bit like cutting up a pizza, but make sure not to cut all the way down through the dough.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until browned and an inserted skewer comes out clean
Leave to cool slightly before cutting
Tastes best when fresh, but keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - delicious reheated in the toaster!
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 87mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Vitamin C: 5.1mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 1.4mg