Gluten-Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
These Gluten-Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes are unbelievably fluffy, nutritious and have a slightly nutty flavour. They make the perfect satisfying breakfast!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 5 pancakes
- 130 g (1 cup) buckwheat flour (ensure gluten-free if necessary)*
- 2 teaspoons (2 teaspoons) baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1/4 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)**
- 170 ml (3/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub any other plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) maple syrup (optional - or sub any other sweetener)
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well (no need to sift the flours) - use a balloon whisk to mix it if the batter becomes clumpy
Heat up a tiny bit of oil in a frying pan (non-stick is best) and spoon or ladle in a small amount of the pancake batter
Cook on a low heat for around 5 minutes until you see a few bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake
Flip over and cook for another few minutes, until golden brown on both sides
Repeat for the rest of the batter - makes 5 pancakes
Best eaten immediately
*After experimenting with various different brands of buckwheat flour, I realised that using a good-quality organic buckwheat flour such as this one made all the difference. For some reason, the buckwheat flavour was less strong, and the pancakes became fluffier and less dense.
**The vinegar is crucial as its acidity reacts with the alkali bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to create a fluffy batter. If not using vinegar, substitute it with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 311mg | Fiber: 2g | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 1.2mg