These Gluten-Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes are unbelievably fluffy, nutritious and have a slightly nutty flavour. They make the perfect satisfying breakfast!
I was initially sceptical about the idea of buckwheat pancakes as I don't like things that taste too strongly of buckwheat, especially if it's a sweet recipe. So I played around with varying degrees of buckwheat:gluten-free flour ratios so I could create a pancake that had a hint of buckwheat flavour but not too much.
However, I soon realised that the more buckwheat flour I used, the fluffier and more delicious the pancakes became. So, I went all in and tried making a batch with 100% buckwheat flour, and guess what? They were the best!
I'm really happy with how these turned out, both in terms of flavour and texture, but also because using 100% buckwheat flour means less ingredients, making them easier to throw together, and also makes them much more nutritious too.
Important Tip: The texture and flavour of these pancakes changes drastically depending on the type of buckwheat flour you use. Read on for more information!
What type of buckwheat flour should you use?
After experimenting with various different brands of buckwheat flour, I realised that using a good-quality organic buckwheat flour such as this one made all the difference. For some reason, the buckwheat flavour was less strong, and the pancakes became fluffier and less dense.
Tip: Not all buckwheat flours are gluten-free, as some can be contaminated with gluten in the production process. So, if it's necessary for you to be gluten-free, make sure the one you buy is certified gluten-free.
Why you'll love these Gluten-Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes:
- they're undetectably vegan and gluten-free
- they’re seriously soft and fluffy - almost like soufflé pancakes!
- they have a slight nutty flavour but don't taste too strongly of buckwheat
- they can be made with no added sugar
- they're filling and satisfying
- they're made with 100% buckwheat flour - no gluten-free flour!
- they're a source of protein and fibre
- they’re made without flax eggs or aquafaba
- they're nut-free
- they’re easy to make
- they're made with just 5 ingredients
- they can be enjoyed with sweet or savoury toppings
- they're great for breakfast, a snack or dessert!
How to make these Gluten-Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Mix with all the ingredients in a glass mixing bowl.
Heat up a tiny bit of oil in a frying pan (non-stick is best) and add a few tablespoons of the pancake batter.
Cook on a low-medium heat for around 5 minutes until you see little bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake.
- Flip over and cook for another few minutes, until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
Tip: Use a spatula to flip over the pancakes.
- Repeat for the rest of the batter - makes 5 pancakes.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can use any type of plant-based milk: almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, cashew milk, oat milk etc
- for sweeter pancakes, you can add any type of liquid sweetener: maple syrup, agave syrup, brown rice syrup etc
- you can use any type of oil to fry the pancakes: coconut oil, olive oil or vegetable oil.
Serving suggestions for these Buckwheat Pancakes
These Buckwheat Pancakes can be enjoyed with any sweet toppings such as:
- banana slices
- maple syrup
- melted chocolate
- almond or peanut butter
- chopped nuts
- fresh berries
- coconut yogurt or coconut whipped cream
Or they can be eaten as part of a savoury breakfast with toppings such as:
- baked beans
- mashed avocado
- sautéed mushrooms
- garlicky spinach
- roasted tomatoes
- tofu scramble.
The possibilities are endless!
More gluten-free vegan pancake recipes:
- Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Fluffy Pancakes
- Protein Pancakes
- Banana Pancakes
- Flaxseed Pancakes
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Cornmeal Pancakes
- Blueberry Pancakes
- or browse the whole collection!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Gluten-Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
- 130 g (1 cup) buckwheat flour (ensure gluten-free if necessary)*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)**
- 170 ml (¾ cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub any other plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional - or sub any other sweetener)
- Coconut oil (or sub vegetable oil)
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well (no need to sift the flours) - use a balloon whisk to mix it if the batter becomes clumpy
- Heat up a tiny bit of oil in a frying pan (non-stick is best) and spoon or ladle in a small amount of the pancake batter
- Cook on a low heat for around 5 minutes until you see a few bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake
- Flip over and cook for another few minutes, until golden brown on both sides
- Repeat for the rest of the batter - makes 5 pancakes
- Best eaten immediately
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.