I’ve been making this Spiced Sweet Potato & Hummus Buddha Bowl for a while now but as I recently had it featured on Buzzfeed in their article 19 Things You’ll Just Get If You’re Obsessed With Hummus I thought I better do as I’d promised and put up the recipe soon…
If you’re wondering what on earth a buddha bowl is, Urban Dictionary’s trusty definition tells me: “a bowl which is packed so full that it has a rounded “belly” appearance on the top much like the belly of a buddha”. Basically, it’s just a great way to incorporate all sorts of delicious things in one meal and give it fancy name.
This combination here is my favourite as it incorporates all the things I love in life in one meal! Think perfectly spiced sweet potato wedges, sweet juicy cranberries, toasty sunflower seeds paired with creamy dreamy avocado,balsamic-dressed peppery rocket and tangy garlicky hummus on a bed of nutty brown or wild rice. A hearty plant-based meal that anyone can enjoy.
As you can see, it’s vegan and gluten-free and couldn’t be healthier. This is becoming my go-to meal at university when I want something quick and easy to make that’s also super filling and satisfying. I’ve also made it for several friends, and they’ve all really liked it.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 sweet potato, cut into wedges and with the skin kept on
- Handful of dried cranberries
- Handful of sunflower seeds (or sub pumpkin seeds)
- Glug of oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander (or sub handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped)
- Few large handfuls of rocket
- Glug of store-bought balsamic dressing, or make your own: 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, pinch of salt + pepper
- 2 portions rice (I recommend brown rice or wild rice, or you could use quinoa instead)
- Hummus (store-bought or make your own)
- Avocado, sliced
- Place the sweet potato wedges on a baking tray with the dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, salt+pepper and drizzle with oil and roast in oven until the sweet potatoes are soft enough to pierce with a fork, crisp on the outside and slightly browned (alternatively you can boil or steam the sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes or until soft enough to pierce with a fork, heat up some oil in a pan and fry all the ingredients together until the sweet potatoes are crisp on the outside and slightly browned)
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet
- Mix together the ingredients for the balsamic dressing in a bowl, add the rocket and mix well.
- To serve, lay out the rice on the bottom of a bowl and top with the sweet potatoes, hummus, rocket and avocado