These Vegan Chickpea Caesar Salad Wraps are the perfect super tasty, easily transportable, make-ahead lunch!
I've used mashed chickpeas to make so many plant-based sandwiches and wraps, like these:
- Lazy Falafel Lettuce Wraps
- Mediterranean Chickpea “Tuna” Pittas
- Chickpea Mayonnaise Salad Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Mayonnaise Salad
- Chickpea Mayo Coconut Bacon Lettuce Wraps
- Chickpea Curry Salad Sandwich
I love the versatile texture of mashed chickpeas, which means they work well to mimic everything from tuna to chopped chicken and even chopped up boiled egg!
I'd been meaning to make a vegan Caesar salad for the blog for a while, and I always knew that when I did, I'd be using chickpeas to replace the chicken. And, while Caesar salad is great, I thought a Caesar salad wrap would be much more exciting, especially with packed lunch season now upon us.
These Vegan Caesar Salad Wraps are full of nutritious goodies like mashed chickpeas, fresh, crisp shredded Romaine lettuce, and crunchy sweet red peppers (not traditional, but why not?). And if you're craving those croutons, I like to add some crispy coconut bacon or almond bacon as a substitute.
But the real star of the show is the gorgeous vegan Caesar salad dressing. It's made with velvety blended cashew nuts and flavoured with vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, maple syrup and nutritional yeast. It's rich, creamy, salty, tangy, garlicky, sweet and cheesy all at the same time and tastes so good you'll want to eat it with a spoon.
The chickpeas and Caesar dressing can be made in advance and both store for up to a few days, making these wraps ideal for meal prep and packed lunches.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make these Vegan Chickpea Caesar Salad Wraps:
Vegan Chickpea Caesar Salad Wraps (GF)
- 400 g (14oz) tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
For the Caesar dressing:
- 50 g (⅓ cup) raw cashew nuts soaked overnight in cold water or in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon (Dijon) mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or sub agave syrup)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 2 tortillas (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Romaine or Cos lettuce, shredded
- Red peppers, cut into matchsticks
- Place chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until broken into rough pieces (you can alternatively use a pestle and mortar)
For the Caesar dressing:
- Add all ingredients for the dressing to a blender or food processor (a hand-held stick blender also works well) and whizz until completely smooth, adding little splashes of water until you achieve your desired consistency - it should be fairly runny but not too watery
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary
- Add the dressing to the chickpeas etc and mix well. Taste and add more salt if necessary
- Divide the mixture between the tortillas, add the lettuce and peppers and wrap by tucking in both sides then rolling
- The chickpea Caesar salad (without lettuce) will keep for up to a couple of days covered in the fridge, and keeps well in the wrap for several hours
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.