This Vegan Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup is comforting yet light, full of flavour, and super easy to make.
This Vegan Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup is a lovely late summer dish – it’s a great way to use up the last of the fresh tomatoes and basil, but it’s also satisfying and comforting at the same time.
Although minestrone is traditionally made with normal wheat pasta, I decided to mix things up and use pea pasta! It adds extra protein and fibre, and also makes it gluten-free, and even grain-free, too.
I’ve been loving pea pasta recently, as it only takes 5 minutes to become perfectly al dente, and has a delicious nutty, slightly sweet flavour which makes it such an interesting substitute for dishes such as this minestrone!
Pea pasta sounds a little unusual, but you can should be able to get hold of it in most supermarkets, and if not, you can buy it from local health stores, or online.
This minestrone starts with a simple base of onion, garlic, carrot and celery (aka a soffritto or mirepoix), which adds sweetness and flavour.
Although minestrone usually contains potatoes, I decided to use sweet potatoes for extra colour and fibre.
Cannellini beans also add extra protein and fibre, and work beautifully to soak up all the delicious flavours.
Instead of tinned tomatoes, I decided to use fresh tomatoes to use up the best of the summer produce, and they add a delicious fragrance and sweetness.
To serve, I recommend scattering a generous amount of nutritional yeast for nutty, cheesy, parmesan-like flavour, and heaps of aromatic fresh basil.
This Vegan Pea Pasta Minestrone is delicious on its own, but you could also serve it with something such as:
- Lazy Falafel Lettuce Wraps
- Mediterranean Chickpea “Tuna” Pittas
- Vegan Egg Mayonnaise Salad
- Chickpea Mayonnaise Salad Sandwich
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Grilled Cheese
For more soups, check out my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, coconut, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 200 g (7oz) fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 400 g (14oz) tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or sub butter beans or haricot beans)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 200 g (7oz) pea pasta (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil
- Nutritional yeast
- Heat up oil in pan
- Once hot, add onion, garlic, carrot and celery
- Fry for about 10 minutes until softened
- Add sweet potato, fresh tomatoes, cannellini beans, stock cube, dried oregano and enough water to cover
- Bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until sweet potato is soft enough to pierce with a fork
- Add pea pasta about 5 minutes before it is done
- Taste and add salt + pepper
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle over fresh basil and nutritional yeast
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.