I adapted my 3-Ingredient Biscoff Spread Microwave Mug Cake to make this Vegan Peanut Butter Microwave Mug Cake.
It’s just as quick and easy to make as the Biscoff version, but a little healthier as it’s refined sugar free. And it’s also gluten-free optional!
It makes the perfect quick snack if you’re craving something sweet and also works well as a healthier dessert, for those times you finish dinner and want dessert NOW but don’t have the time or energy to bake a whole cake. It takes only 5 minutes to make and mere seconds to eat!
This vegan peanut butter microwave mug cake is delicious plain but it’s also highly customisable.
You could add some chocolate chips to make it extra special, or if you like peanut butter and jelly, why not try swirling in a little bit of strawberry or raspberry jam?
I also like to add an extra teaspoonful of peanut butter in the middle, which creates a lovely lava effect as the peanut butter melts and gets super gooey in the microwave. It also tastes incredible with a scoop of (dairy-free) vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
I also tested a gluten-free version of this cake using rice flour, which worked well. You can alternatively use your favourite gluten-free flour blend.
Plain wholemeal flour could also work nicely in place of white flour, although you may have to add a little more milk as wholemeal flour can result in a drier texture.
Looking for more great microwave mug cakes? You might like my Vegan Biscoff Microwave Mug Cake.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
- 4 tablespoons self-raising flour/4 tablespoons plain flour + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder or sub 4 tablespoons rice flour + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder if gluten-free, or your favourite gluten-free flour blend + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons milk any kind
- Optional: 1 tablespoon maple syrup or any other sweetener, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients together in a mug/small bowl until it has the consistency of cake batter - add a splash of milk if it's looking too dry
- Microwave for 50 seconds, or until the cake has risen and cooked through - test with a skewer or fork and make sure it comes out clean. Microwave in 10-second bursts until you get your desired result
- Enjoy immediately!
Adapted from Kirbie's Cravings
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.