This Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake requires just 5 ingredients and takes only 5 minutes to make! It's moist and fluffy, rich and chocolatey and makes a great quick and easy snack or dessert. It can be made in either the microwave or the oven, and is refined sugar free, nut-free and gluten-free optional.
Yes, you can make this in the oven instead of the microwave. Just bake at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for around 15 minutes, or until risen and an inserted skewer or fork comes out clean.
How to make this recipe
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a mug until it has the consistency of cake batter.
Tip: Add a splash more milk if it's looking too dry.
- Microwave for 50 seconds, or until the cake has risen and cooked through - test with a skewer or fork and make sure it comes out clean.
- Best enjoyed immediately!
It's delicious served with vanilla or chocolate ice cream!
Substitutions you can make
- You can replace the coconut oil with vegetable oil.
- You can use any type of plant-based milk: almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, soy milk, rice milk etc.
- You can use any type of liquid sweetener: maple syrup, agave syrup, brown rice syrup etc.
- For a nut-free version, use a nut-free plant-based milk.
- Wholemeal (wholewheat) flour could also work in place of white flour, although you may have to add a little more milk as wholemeal flour can result in a drier texture.
How to make it gluten-free
I also tested a gluten-free version of this microwave mug cake using rice flour, which worked well. You can alternatively use your favourite gluten-free flour blend.
Top tips for making this recipe
- If it's still not done after 50 seconds, microwave it in 10-second bursts until you get your desired result - but be very careful not to overcook it.
- If you don't have a suitable mug, you can use a small bowl instead.
More chocolate recipes
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- Black Forest Cake
- Mississippi Mud Pie
- Chocolate Baked Donuts
- Chocolate Truffles
- or browse the whole collection of chocolate cake recipes!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Watch how to make this recipe
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sub vegetable oil)
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
- 4 tablespoons plain flour (or rice flour/gluten-free flour blend if gluten-free)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Mix together the coconut oil, milk and maple syrup in a mug/small bowl
- Add the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and mix well until it has the consistency of cake batter - add a splash more milk if it's looking too dry
- Microwave for 50 seconds, or until the cake has risen and cooked through - test with a skewer or fork and make sure it comes out clean. Microwave in 10-second bursts until you get your desired result
- Enjoy immediately!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.