This Vegan Lemon Blueberry Microwave Mug Cake is refined sugar free, gluten-free optional and ready in just 5 minutes!
I was inspired by the popularity of this Chocolate Microwave Mug Cake to create other mug cake flavours, and I thought, who doesn't love Lemon Blueberry Cake? So, I wondered how it would taste as a mug cake...
I was so pleased with the results, as the lemon adds a little bright citrus tang to the pleasingly moist cake filled with juicy, jammy, sticky blueberries.
I also tested a gluten-free version of this microwave mug cake using rice flour, which worked well. You can alternatively use your favourite gluten-free flour blend. Plain wholemeal flour could also work in place of white flour, although you may have to add a little more milk as wholemeal flour can result in a drier texture.
If you're not a fan of the microwave, you can also make this mug cake in the oven! Please see the recipe notes for directions.
For more vegan mug cakes, check out my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Microwave Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sub vegetable oil)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
- 4 tablespoons plain flour (or sub rice flour if gluten-free or your favourite gluten-free flour blend)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 8 fresh blueberries
- Mix together the coconut oil, milk, lemon juice and maple syrup in a mug/small bowl
- Add the flour and baking powder, and mix well until it has the consistency of cake batter - add a splash more milk if it's looking too dry
- Add the blueberries and carefully stir through
- Microwave for 1 minute, or until the cake has risen and cooked through - test with a skewer or fork and make sure it comes out clean. Microwave in 10-second bursts until you get your desired result
- Enjoy immediately!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.