A rich and indulgent vegan chocolate ice cream...sounds too good to be true? I thought so too, until I discovered the incredible magic of sweet potatoes. I present to you this Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream!
And even if you don't have any dietary requirements, it's a great ice cream to make because it's so quick and easy to make, and so much cheaper, healthier AND more delicious than shop-bought chocolate ice cream!
Plus the sweet potatoes are quite filling and will charge you with lots of sustainable energy, so you won't want to eat loads of it like regular ice cream only to collapse in a food coma afterwards.
You can eat it completely guilt-free as it's basically just the same as having vegetables for dessert but you definitely won't notice I promise!
Inspired by the Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream I posted about the other day, I decided to freeze some regular sweet potatoes, and because of their naturally creamy texture and high sugar content, sweet potatoes make a great alternative to frozen bananas for homemade soft-serve ice cream.
And because of their less distinctive taste (you really can't taste the sweet potatoes at all once you add the chocolate), you can them as a basis for different flavours.
The biggest attraction for me is how ridiculously easy it is to make - all you need to do is cook your sweet potato, freeze it and blend with any kind of yogurt – coconut yogurt or cream work well, along with some cocoa powder and sweetener of choice.
And you only need a hand-held stick blender for this, or a food processor or smoothie blender – essentially any blending device of your choice!
Love hiding sweet potatoes in your desserts? Check out my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream:
hand-held stick blender
Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato (about 200g/7oz)
- 3 tablespoons coconut yogurt (or sub any kind of milk)
- 2 heaped teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small pieces
- Boil or steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork, and drain
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork
- Once cooled, transfer the mash into a freezer-friendly container and place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the yogurt, cocoa powder and maple syrup
- Blend until it forms a thick ice-cream-like texture – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve in a cone or cup!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
Where do you buy cocout oil?
Do you mean coconut oil or coconut yogurt?
This ice cream is amazing - you can't taste the sweet potato at all!
Yes! Thank you!
PERFECT. So easy and I agree better than the banana version. Thanks a million on this recipe
Thank you so much, so happy to hear that!