I really hope you’ll LOVE this Gluten-Free Vegan Deep-Dish Cookie! It tastes so delicious that you won’t even realise it’s made from chickpeas, and secretly healthy.
This recipe came about as a total accident as I actually wanted to make chickpea blondies, inspired by these vegan and gluten-free Adzuki Bean Brownies.
However, I didn’t have a brownie tin of the right size on hand, so I ended up making it in a round dish.
It looked so delicious that I not-so-guiltily just immediately started eating it with a spoon as soon as it came out of the oven…
…and that was how this gluten-free vegan deep-dish cookie was born!
And what’s great is that you can even spoon this down for breakfast, it’s that healthy! The main ingredients are fibre and protein-packed chickpeas, naturally sweet dates, creamy peanut butter, and you can add some chocolate chips too if you like!
An important point about this deep-dish cookie is that it is especially nice because of the chickpeas and not in spite of the chickpeas. For some reason, they make the texture so much more fudgy and prevents it from getting soggy or drying out. Ideal!
It’s so easy to make too! Just throw all the ingredients into a blender, whizz until smooth, transfer into baking dish and pop in the oven!
I love to serve this warm from the oven with a scoop of (vegan) vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
If you like this recipe, you may like my:
- Salted Caramel Adzuki Bean Brownies
- Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches (which are made using black beans!)
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Gluten-Free Vegan Deep-Dish Cookie tastes so delicious that you won't even realise it's made from chickpeas, and secretly healthy.
- 400 g (14oz) tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 10 small dates - soak them in boiling water for about 10 minutes first if they're on the hard side
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Splash of milk, any kind
- 40 g (1.5oz) dark chocolate chips or chunks* (ensure dairy-free if necessary)
Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 degrees)
- Place all ingredients apart from the chocolate chips in a blender and whizz until smooth - you will probably have to mix it around a few times with a spoon, and add a splash of milk if it's too thick to blend properly
- Transfer to a greased baking dish - I recommend you use something that's quite deep
- Make sure the surface is smooth and level
- Stud in the chocolate chips
- Bake in oven for around 30 minutes, until golden-brown, nicely risen and slightly firm inside
Best served warm from the oven with a scoop of (dairy-free) vanilla or chocolate ice cream
*Omit for refined sugar free version, or use refined sugar free dark chocolate
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.