This Spiced Puy Lentil Salad is subtly spiced, fragrantly fruity and loaded with fresh herbs!
Puy lentils can taste pretty boring on their own, but this combination of spices, herbs and dried fruits here work to actually make these lentils something to be excited about. I know!
Just like my Mango Salsa, this Lentil Salad is perfect for this time of year, especially as a side dish for BBQs and dinner parties. It works well paired with meat, fish or veggies and unlike most other side dishes, it’s vegan and gluten-free and filled with fibre and protein!
Not only is it great as a side if you’re feeding a crowd, this salad is definitely substantial and satisfying enough to make up a whole meal all on its own! And it actually tastes a lot better made in advance, as this gives the spices time to really develop and soak into the lentils, which means it’s also great for packed lunches.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 400g puy lentils
- Handful of dried apricots, roughly chopped
- Handful of dried cranberries
- Bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or sub apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (or sub agave syrup or honey if not vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Optional: 1 carrot, grated or chopped into matchsticks
- Optional: 1 cooked beetroot, diced
- Cook lentils according to instructions on packet and leave to cool
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl
- Add the cooked lentils to a large bowl along with the red onion, mint, coriander, dried apricots and dried cranberries
- Pour over the dressing and mix well
- To serve, scatter over pine nuts and add the extra veggies if you wish