This Pea, Broad Bean and Asparagus Pesto Salad is full of fresh, summery flavours and a great way to make use of seasonal peas and broad beans.
The nutty peas and broad beans are perfectly complimented by the more delicate asparagus and peppery rocket, whilst the pesto sauce acts as a rich, creamy and garlicky dressing.
Garnishing with fresh basil and drizzling with chilli oil adds extra flavour and a little kick!
This salad was actually inspired by this dish I made the other day – grilled squid, scallops and sweet red peppers in pesto sauce with fresh basil, lemon juice and chilli oil. I tried to think of ways to make it vegan and decided to go for fresh and seasonal green peas and broad beans! And I got the idea to use pesto sauce as a salad dressing after the success of my Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta Salad.
This salad is vegan, gluten-free and incredibly healthy. It’s the perfect side dish for summery meals and can be enjoyed hot or cold, so is really easy to make in advance too.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 100g fresh green peas (or sub frozen peas)
- 50g fresh broad beans (or sub frozen broad beans)
- Bunch of asparagus, chopped into smaller pieces
- Handful of basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Generous glug of olive oil
- Pinch of salt + pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Handful of rocket
- Optional: 1 teaspoon chilli oil, to taste
- Cook peas and broad beans: place in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until done (if using frozen ones, cook according to instructions on packet). Once cooked, drain them and place in a large bowl
- Cook the asparagus: place in the same saucepan with a small amount of water and keep the lid on. Once the water is boiling, turn down the heat and leave to steam for 5-10 minutes, depending on how thick the asparagus is. Once cooked, drain the asparagus and add to the bowl with the peas and broad beans
- Make the pesto by adding all the ingredients for it to a blender and whizz until smooth
- Add the pesto into the peas, broad beans and asparagus and mix well
- To serve, top with rocket and drizzle with chilli oil
- Use store-bought pesto for a quicker and easier cooking process