I can’t get over how delicious this Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Cake is – it tastes reminiscent of Nutella, it’s rich and indulgent, and perfectly soft and fudgy.
It’s actually a slight adaptation of my Gâteau au Chocolat recipe, substituting ground hazelnuts for ground almonds and adding a splash of Amaretto and cherries for a slightly festive twist.
I absolutely love the combination of the nutty hazelnuts, rich chocolate, fudgy dates, boozy Amaretto and the sweet, fragrant cherries. The icing is totally optional, but in my opinion really takes this cake to the next level!
This cake may be vegan, gluten-free and easily refined sugar free, but you certainly won’t notice it! The flavours in it mean it’s great for Christmas, but it would be just as perfect at any other time of year I think!
It also just happens to be really quick and easy to make! The most difficult part is probably puréeing the dates, but once that’s over, there’s no sifting of flours or cracking of eggs to worry about, which makes this cake an absolute dream for lazy bakers like myself!
For more delicious cakes, you might like my:
- Red Velvet Cake
- Chocolate Truffle Cake
- Tropical Carrot Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Cherry Bakewell Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Sponge Layer Cake
- Black Forest Cake
- Coffee Walnut Cake
- Strawberry Sponge Layer Cake
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Cake tastes reminiscent of Nutella, it's rich and indulgent, and perfectly soft and fudgy.
- 15 dates soaked overnight in cold water or for 10 minutes in boiling water and drained
- 200 g (1 cup) ground hazelnuts (if you can't get hold of this, you can grind the hazelnuts into a fine powder using a food processor)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons oil coconut, olive or vegetable
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) milk, any kind
- Optional: Salt, to taste
- Optional: 100g (1/2 cup) drained tinned or fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- Optional: Splash of Amaretto (ensure gluten-free/vegan if necessary*)
- 40 g (1/4 cup) dark chocolate (ensure dairy-free if necessary)
- Splash of milk, any kind
Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 degrees)
- Use a food processor or a stick blender to blend the dates into a smooth purée
- Add the puréed dates into a bowl along with all the other ingredients and mix well
- Transfer to your (greased) baking dish of choice
- Bake in oven for around 20 minutes
- Once the cake is completely cooled, make the icing - melt the chocolate in a bain-marie or microwave
- Add the milk a teaspoon at a time, until you get the desired consistency
- Spread evenly over the cake
- The cake keeps well in the fridge for up to a few days
*For a refined sugar free version, omit all starred ingredients and use fresh cherries instead of tinned
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.