These Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes are the side dish you need in your life! They’re melt-in-your-mouth creamy, soft and fluffy and so easy to make!
Why you’ll love these Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
I spent so long trying to think how to make some amazing creamy vegan mashed potatoes and really wasn’t sure what the best option was…
- vegan butter/dairy-free spread – potentially not very healthy, and taste can really vary between brands
- almond milk – too watery and not that creamy
- coconut oil – too fatty and not creamy enough either
Then I remembered…blended soaked cashews! Which are: irresistibly creamy, luxuriously smooth, seriously velvety but not greasy. They’re also neutral in flavour, and just all round absolutely perfect for this dish.
The result was fluffy clouds of mashed potato that are seriously soft, perfectly rich and truly melt-in-your-mouth silky.
They’re also super easy to make and make a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter, and anything in between!
How to make these Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Place peeled and sliced potatoes in a pan, roughly cover with water and cook for around 15 minutes, until soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- Place cashews in a food processor along with 8 tablespoons of water.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Drain the potatoes and add the blended cashews and salt + pepper.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth.
Ingredients you can add for extra flavour:
- Dried or fresh herbs: parsley, sage, thyme or rosemary
- Roasted garlic
- Nutritional yeast
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- To make this recipe nut-free, you can substitute the cashew cream with any type of plant-based yogurt (coconut yogurt, soy yogurt, almond yogurt etc).
- If you can’t be bothered to make your own cashew cream, use 1 tablespoon of shop-bought cashew butter instead.
- You can substitute the potatoes with sweet potatoes.
How to serve these Mashed Potatoes
You can’t have mashed potatoes without gravy! And here’s my favourite vegan gravy recipe – it’s easy to make and full of flavour.
More vegan potato side dishes:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes (GF)
- 1.6 kg (56.5 oz) potatoes (varieties suitable for mashing include: Russet, Yukon Gold, Desirée, King Edward)
- 100 g (3/4 cup) raw cashew nuts soaked overnight in cold water or in boiling water for 15 minutes
- Salt + pepper to taste
To serve (optional):
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly
- Add to a pan without enough water to roughly cover, and a good pinch of salt
- Bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft enough to pierce gently with a fork
- Meanwhile, drain the soaked cashews and add to a food processor with 8 tablespoons of water
- Blend until completely smooth (you may need to mix it a couple of times)
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain away the water and, keeping the potatoes in the pan, add the blended cashew nuts and salt + pepper to taste
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until completely smooth
- Add extra suggested flavourings if desired*
- Best enjoyed immediately!
- Dried or fresh parsley, rosemary, sage or thyme
- Roasted garlic
- Nutritional yeast
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.