Want to know why you need to make this Gluten-Free Vegan Cherry Pie? It’s slightly boozy, full of sweet, juicy cherries, and has a crispy, flaky and buttery crust!
This is the third post of Gluten-Free Vegan Pie Week! As I’d been experimenting with a vegan and gluten-free pastry crust, I decided to start to create a range of different pies. Also featured this week we have:
- Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Pie
- Gluten-Free Vegan Pecan Pie
- Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Pie
The crust is made using buttery coconut oil and a mixture of gluten-free flour and ground almonds. The almonds prevent the crust from becoming chewy, crumbly or dense, as well as adding extra protein and fibre.
This crust is really easy to make too, as there’s no need to chill the pastry dough, and you there’s no pre-baking required either. I find flouring a surface to roll out the pastry dough requires too much cleaning up, so I prefer to use a sheet of greaseproof baking paper instead, which is much easier.
If you prefer less pastry and only want a bottom crust, you can halve the ingredients in the recipe for the pastry dough. For the top layer, you can either just lay a flat sheet on top, or cut out little shapes like circles or stars and lay those out over the cherries like I did!
For the filling, I definitely recommend using fresh cherries rather than frozen, as frozen ones can release a lot of water whilst cooking. However, you can use frozen ones if you wish – make sure they’re still frozen when you put them in the oven and use a little more cornflour/cornstarch.
Using maple syrup adds a lovely flavour, whilst keeping it refined sugar free. I also like to add a splash of sherry (or any other alcohol you have on hand would work), as it adds a little boozy kick that really compliments the sweetness of the cherries!
I really hope you’ll love this Gluten-Free Vegan Cherry Pie! Want more cherry recipes? Check out my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Gluten-Free Vegan Cherry Pie:
Gluten-Free Vegan Cherry Pie
For the cherries:
For the cherries:
- Place the cherries in a bowl with the other ingredients and mix well
For the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl along with about 14 tablespoons of water, until it forms a firm dough - add the water a few tablespoons at a time so that you don’t add too much!
- You can keep this pastry dough in the fridge for up to a day if you like, but there is no need to chill it before using
- Divide the pastry into two and add one half to a greased pie dish. Use your fingers to carefully press it across the bottom and up the sides of the dish (I used a 9inch/22.5cm pie dish)
- You can use a fork or your fingers to create a pretty pattern around the edge if you like
- Lay out a sheet of greaseproof baking paper on a counter. Sprinkle the surface of the paper and a rolling pin with a generous amount of flour and roll out the remaining pastry dough as thin as you can without it breaking***
- Use a circular or star-shaped (or any other shaped) cookie/pastry cutter to cut shapes out of the pastry dough
- Once you have this ready, transfer the cherry mixture into the pie crust
- Arrange the pastry shapes on top of the cherry mixture
- Bake in oven for around 30 minutes, until the pastry crust is firm to the touch and golden brown
- Leave to cool a little before cutting, but tastes best served warm from the oven!
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.