This Vegan Lemon Jelly makes a great light dessert, or if you're feeling sophisticated, also doubles up as a refreshing palate cleanser.
Just like this Lemon Tea, this Vegan Lemon Jelly was inspired by a yuzu jelly I ate in Japan. Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit, and although it's delicious, it is hard to find outside Japan, so I decided to make a Lemon Jelly instead!
The jelly is made vegan using agar, which is a natural jelly-like substance that comes from algae. It's very healthy as it's around 80% fibre.
It's used in many traditional Japanese desserts, such as anmitsu. You'll be able to get hold of agar jelly in local health stores, Asian supermarkets, and maybe even your local supermarket too!
The ginger syrup adds a warming, spicy and slightly piquant edge to the heady aroma of the lemon. It is completely optional though, as the lemon jelly alone tastes delicious by itself too.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Vegan Lemon Jelly:
Vegan Lemon Jelly with Ginger Syrup (Vegan + GF)
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 teaspoon agar (check the instructions on the packet as the amount needed tends to vary between brands)
- Juice of ½ lemon to taste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
For the syrup:
- 1 teaspoon juice from freshly grated ginger (or sub ¼ teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place the agar in a saucepan with the water, lemon juice and maple syrup and bring to the boil (read the instructions on the agar packet carefully first as it can vary between brands)
- Pour into shallow rectangular-shaped container and refrigerate until set
- Make the syrup by heating all the ingredients in a pan until melted, and set aside to cool
- To serve, cut the jelly into small cubes once it’s set, place in bowls and and pour over the syrup – add fruit and fresh mint it you want!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
Thank you Holly!