This Gluten-Free Vegan Pear Dark Chocolate Pudding is rich and fudgy, and tastes much more indulgent than it really is!
I’m pretty clumsy in the kitchen and what I dislike about baking is cracking eggs into a bowl of batter (and inevitably having to fish out bits of egg shell) and faffing about with a sieve for the flour – I always end up showering both myself and everything around me with a fine coating of white powder, which takes ages to clean up afterwards. So, I did some experimenting to try and make a cake with as little troublesome ingredients as possible, and ended up with this delicious pudding that’s inadvertently vegan and gluten-free (and also low sugar).
Unlike a lot of “free-from” cakes, this one is actually so much quicker and easier to make than a regular one, and doesn’t call for a billion unrecognisable products that are both ridiculously expensive and impossible to find at your local supermarket. This pudding requires just one bowl and a few simple ingredients, so it’s absolutely perfect if you’re as lazy as me.
I’ve added both ground ginger and crystallised ginger to this pudding because I think gingery spice is a welcome addition to the other flavours, but I’ve left these as optional extras because 1) not everyone likes ginger and 2) it’s not that crucial as the real stars of the show are the pears and dark chocolate (a match made in heaven). Likewise, I personally love the additional crunch and nutty flavour you get from the hazelnuts on top, but not everyone likes hazelnuts and they’re also pretty expensive, so I’ve said they’re optional too.
If you’re worried about what variety of fruit to use, then I’d recommend Comice pears as they tend to remain firm during cooking and don’t leak out too much water, but it doesn’t really matter, it’ll still taste the same.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 tablespoons oil (vegetable, olive or coconut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g (1 3/4 cup) ground almonds*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener or sugar)
- 100ml (1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) milk, any kind
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 40g (1.5oz) dark chocolate chips or chunks (ensure dairy-free if necessary)
- 2 (Comice) pears, peeled, cored and cut into slices
- Optional: Handful of hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Optional: Few pieces of crystallised ginger, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 degrees)
- Mix together the oil, vanilla extract, ground almonds, maple syrup, milk, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger in a bowl
- Transfer the mixture into your greased baking dish of choice
- Fan the pears on top, and scatter with the chocolate chips (and crystallised ginger and hazelnuts)
- Bake in oven for around 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through
- *You could also substitute with ground hazelnuts, and add a little more milk as hazelnuts soak up more moisture than almonds