If your new year’s resolution was to eat healthier but you’re having trouble finding time to make healthy food, try making this Avocado Pesto without a blender!
And obviously this recipe is for everyone else too, because everyone needs to know about it because this avocado pesto is SO quick + easy to make and you don’t even need a blender! As long as they’re ripe enough, all you need to make the avocados smooth and creamy is a simple piece of cutlery: the humble fork.
It’s really healthy and vegan/dairy-free but the avocado is so rich and creamy already that you won’t even notice the lack of cheese – trust me on this. Though obviously, a grating of parmesan wouldn’t be a terrible idea…
You can use whatever type of pasta you want (I used brown rice fusilli) and you can add whatever vegetables you want. I added some olives, green peas and a handful or two of baby kale. You can boil the peas and kale with the pasta so it’s super easy to make – it takes about 15 minutes, so perfect for a lazy weeknight dinner!
If you’re not vegan/vegetarian and want to add some meat/fish to your meal, I’d suggest adding some parma ham, salmon (smoked or otherwise), chicken or a poached egg.
I’ve given the pesto a slightly Japanese-y twist with the addition of the ume-shiso seasoning.
You can buy this Clearspring one in most health food shops, or directly from their site, but don’t worry if you can’t get hold of it, you can just add a bit more lemon juice instead.
And if you’re wondering what ume shiso seasoning is, umeboshi are Japanese plums pickled in salt. They taste extremely sour and salty so the flavour is especially good for counteracting things with a creamy consistency (such as avocado). And shiso is a type of Asian herb often used in Japanese cuisine.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions pasta of choice
- Two handfuls green peas (either fresh or frozen)
- Few handfuls baby kale/rocket
- Handful of olives
- 1 tablespoon ume-shiso seasoning (or sub lemon juice/lime juice/any white vinegar such as apple cider)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon dried basil/handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped (or sub other herb of choice)
- Glug of olive oil
- Generous pinch salt + ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Boil the pasta according to instructions on the packet (add the peas too, so you can cook them with the pasta and save energy/time/washing up etc)
- Peel the avocados, add to a bowl and mash with a fork (the riper they are the easier this will be)
- Add the ume-shiso seasoning (or other acidic seasoning of choice), dried basil (or other herb of choice), olive oil, salt and pepper, and mix well
- Drain the pasta and peas once cooked and take off the heat
- Add the avocado pesto, baby kale and olives to the pan and mix well (the heat from the pasta will wilt in the kale)
- Serve up and scatter over the pine nuts