This Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala is rich and creamy, perfectly tangy and full of flavour. It makes an easy and nutritious meal and is much healthier than the traditional version!
Why you'll love this Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala:
- it's thick and velvety
- it's tart and tangy
- it's fragrant and flavourful
- it's healthy and nutritious
- it's a source of protein and fibre
- it's super easy to make
- it's made in one pot
- it's gluten-free!
How to make this Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala
This curry is very easy to make, here is the process broken down into simple steps:
- Fry the onion, ginger and garlic.
- Add the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, agave syrup, stock cube, desiccated coconut and salt + pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Either transfer to a blender (or use a hand-held stick blender) to whizz the sauce until smooth.
- Transfer the blended sauce back to the pan and add the chickpeas, red pepper, green pepper, cardamom and yogurt - add a little splash of water until the sauce is your desired consistency.
- Bring to the boil again and simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can substitute the chickpeas with white beans or cubes of firm tofu
- you can add any vegetables you like - just adjust the cooking time accordingly
- you can use any type of plant-based yogurt: coconut, soy, almond or cashew
- you can use any type of sweetener: agave syrup, maple syrup etc.
How long does this Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala keep for?
Leftovers keep well covered in the fridge for up to a couple of days - reheat in a pan on the hob (stove), adding some extra water if necessary.
For more vegan curries:
- Chickpea Korma Curry
- Chickpea Sweet Potato Peanut Curry
- Cabbage Potato Curry
- Thai Green Curry
- Tofu Katsu Curry
- Eggplant Chickpea Peanut Curry
- Chickpea Coconut Mango Curry
- Tofu Satay Curry
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala (GF)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or vegetable or rapeseed oil)
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 cm (½ inch) fresh ginger , minced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Handful fresh coriander (cilantro) , roughly chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) tinned tomatoes
- 250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper , cored and diced
- 1 green pepper , cored and diced
- Few cardamom pods
- 120 ml (½ cup) plant-based yogurt (coconut, soy, almond or cashew yogurt)
- Cooked brown or white rice
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan
- Once hot, add onion, ginger and garlic, and fry for around 10 minutes until soft
- Add the paprika, cumin, turmeric, garam masala and coriander and fry for a couple of minutes until fragrant
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, agave syrup, stock cube, desiccated coconut and salt + pepper
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes
- Either transfer to a blender (or use a hand-held blender) to whizz the sauce until smooth
- Transfer the blended sauce back to the pan and add the chickpeas, red pepper, green pepper, cardamom and yogurt - add a little splash of water until the sauce is your desired consistency
- Bring to the boil again and simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
- Discard cardamom pods before serving
- Serve alongside rice, if desired
- Leftovers are delicious reheated and freeze well
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
Trank you for this excellent recipe😍
My family can‘t get enough of it.
Thank you so much, so happy to hear that!!
Very tasty! New favourite.
Small servings though; I'll about double the ingredients next time ^^
Thank you so much, so glad you liked it!