These Vegan Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies are subtly spiced, flavoured with zesty orange and studded with dark chocolate.
What’s great about these cookies is that they use only ingredients that even non-vegans would want to have in their store cupboard anyway.
All you need is to mix a few basic ingredients in one bowl, meaning they’re super quick and easy to make, maybe even easier than regular cookies!
These chocolate chip orange cookies were inspired by the flavours of Green & Black’s Maya Gold bar: dark chocolate “infused with a twist of orange and delicate spices”.
So, I decided to use orange extract and dark chocolate (a classic combination), with Biscoff spread as a butter substitute, as it adds a lovely delicately spiced flavour.
I first came across Biscoff spread in France, where they call it Speculoos. Not only is it ridiculously addictive, but its flavour is very versatile and works well in a wide range of desserts.
You can also add extra spices, such as cinnamon or nutmeg, depending on your preference!
And if you don’t fancy chocolate and orange, you can use the batter as a base for other ingredients – how about cranberry and macadamia nut?
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
You can also watch a video of me making these Vegan Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies here:
Helpful tools to make these Vegan Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies:
Vegan Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies
- 2 heaped tablespoons smooth almond butter (or sub cashew butter)
- 3 heaped tablespoons Biscoff spread
- 1 tablespoon orange extract (or sub with orange liqueur or grated orange zest)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Handful of candied orange peel, roughly chopped
- 40 g (1.5oz) dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Splash unsweetened almond milk (or sub any other kind of plant-based milk)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon cinnamon/pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Mix together the almond butter, Biscoff spread, orange essence, vanilla, orange peel and chocolate chips in a bowl
- Sift in the flour, baking powder (and spices) and a splash of milk and mix again until the mixture becomes cookie dough-like in texture
- Cover a baking tray with greased baking paper and use your hands to mould the mixture into 12 cookies of identical size – I find the best way to do this is to make 12 balls of equal size and then press down on them with a fork afterwards
- Bake in oven for around 8 minutes
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack before storing in an airtight container - keeps for a good few days
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.