I’m so excited to share the recipe for this Vegan Tofu Satay! It’s super satisfying, just as delicious as its chicken counterpart, and also incidentally gluten-free and really healthy.
It all starts off with a very simple 4-ingredient marinade for the tofu, which ensures it’s packed full of flavour. I used this Cauldron Original Tofu, which is a hard, firm tofu that you can buy in most supermarkets.
But the flavour doesn’t stop there, because I’m also going to show you to whisk together a few simple ingredients to make an insanely delicious peanut dipping sauce that you’ll want to just eat with a spoon.
These skewers may look fancy, but they’re really simple to make so they’d be great for a quick dinner, but also special enough for sharing at a party! They’re great served alongside rice, or even cauliflower rice, and pair especially well with this Mango Salad.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- Oil (vegetable or rapeseed), for frying
- 400g hard, firm tofu
- Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce – I used Blue Dragon
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce (I used Blue Dragon)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Chilli powder/flakes/oil, to taste
- Splash of unsweetened almond milk or water (use as much or as little as you want, depending on how liquid you want the mixture to be)
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Pat tofu dry with a paper towel, then cut into small cubes
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the marinade and add the chopped coriander
- Place the tofu in this bowl, making sure that every piece is covered in equal amounts of sauce – either cook immediately or leave to marinate for up to 12 hours
- Heat up some oil in a large wide-bottomed frying pan and add tofu once hot
- Fry the tofu for about 5 minutes on each side – or until crispy, golden brown and slightly caramelised
- Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the satay sauce. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning as necessary
- Place the pieces of tofu on skewers*, transfer onto a serving plate and sprinkle with chopped coriander. Serve the sauce in a small bowl next to it to dunk the skewers into
- *As it can be quite tricky to cook these with skewers unless you're using a BBQ or a grill, I prefer to put the skewers through them just to serve, but you can also fry them on skewers if you'd prefer to do it that way round. If so, make sure skewers have been soaked in water first if using wooden ones.