This undetectably vegan Spicy Miso Mayonnaise is easy to make, bursting with umami flavour, and irresistibly creamy.
It all starts with some cashews, which are blended until thick, creamy and luxuriously smooth. I mentioned that I’d been experimenting with soaked cashews, which I love for making delicious sweet treats, as well as savoury sauces like this mayonnaise!
I add a dollop of miso for a hit of umami flavour, along with some vinegar for that characteristically mayo-like tang, as well as a good dash of chilli powder for a spicy kick!
You can use Japanese seven-spice powder (known as shichimi) instead of chilli powder if you wish – it’s a blend of chilli, orange peel, black and white sesame seeds, seaweed, ginger and Japanese pepper. You can find it in Asian supermarkets or online.
I’m SO pleased with this sauce: it’s a super delicious, infinitely healthier and unnoticeably cashew-based alternative to traditional mayo! It also happens to be oil-free, which is an added bonus.
This mayonnaise is great as a dip for:
- regular potato fries
- sweet potato fries (see recipe below – I used a mixture of regular orange sweet potatoes, white-fleshed sweet potatoes and purple sweet potatoes)
- any other vegetable fries
It can also be:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (I used a mixture of regular orange sweet potatoes, white-fleshed sweet potatoes and purple sweet potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons oil vegetable, rapeseed, olive or coconut
- Salt, to taste
- 100 g (3.5oz) cashew nuts
- 1 heaped teaspoon miso (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Cayenne chilli powder, taste (or Japanese seven-spice powder)
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 degrees)
- Peel sweet potato if you wish or keep skin on
- Slice into thin matchsticks
- Drizzle with oil, add a pinch of salt and mix well
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, mixing around a few times, until crispy and golden
Soak cashews overnight in cold water or in boiling water for 15 minutes
- Drain cashews and add to a blender or food processor along with all other ingredients
- Whizz until completely smooth, adding a tiny amount of water each time until the desired consistency is achieved
- Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly
Mayonnaise keeps covered in the fridge for up to a week
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.