This Creamy Vegan Miso Pasta Sauce is rich, perfectly flavourful and super easy to make. The umami-rich sauce paired with meaty mushrooms makes the best plant-based dinner!
Why you’ll love this Creamy Vegan Miso Pasta:
- it’s luxuriously creamy
- it’s light and healthy
- it’s full of flavour
- it’s packed full of meaty mushrooms
- it’s easy to make
- it’s ready in 25 minutes
- it’s easily customisable and can be adapted to whatever vegetables you have on hand
- it’s nut-free optional
- it’s gluten-free
- you can easily make it grain-free or paleo
- it makes a satisfying dinner!
What is miso?
Miso is a Japanese seasoning made from fermented soybeans and has a rich, salty flavour. It’s a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, and contains plenty of friendly probiotics.
In traditional Japanese cuisine, it’s used in sauces, dips, spreads, soups and stocks, but it also works in many other dishes like this pasta sauce!
Tip: Miso sometimes contains gluten, so make sure to use gluten-free miso if you’re gluten-free. You can buy miso in most supermarkets, local health stores, Asian supermarkets or online.
How to make this Creamy Vegan Miso Pasta
- Cook the garlic and mushrooms in a frying pan
- Add the plant-based milk and miso
- Add the cooked pasta
- Mix well and add extra vegetables if you like!
See below for substitution suggestions.
Tips for making this recipe:
- you can use either unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened cashew milk
- for a nut-free version, you can use unsweetened oat milk or soy milk (though soy milk will have a stronger flavour)
- you can use any type of mushrooms – I used shiitake mushrooms as I love their rich flavour, but any type will do
- you can use any type of pasta – I used brown rice spaghetti
- you can make it grain-free or paleo by using pea pasta, red lentil pasta or edamame noodles
- add tofu, green peas or edamame for extra protein.
More creamy vegan pasta recipes:
- Creamy Tomato Sauce Pasta
- Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Creamy Sundried Pesto Pasta
- Creamy Pumpkin Chestnut Pasta
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Creamy Vegan Miso Pasta Sauce is rich, perfectly flavourful and super easy to make.
- 200 g pasta (gluten-free if necessary - I used brown rice spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or sub coconut, olive or rapeseed oil)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms , roughly chopped (or any other mushrooms)
- 230 ml unsweetened almond milk (or unsweetened cashew milk or oat milk for a nut-free version)
- 2 heaped teaspoons miso (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch salt to taste
Boil the pasta according to instructions on packet
Heat oil in frying pan and add the garlic and mushrooms once the oil is hot - fry for around 7 minutes until softened
Add the almond milk, miso and salt
Drain the pasta once cooked and add to the frying pan
Mix well and add more almond milk if it's looking too dry. Taste and add more salt if necessary
Add tofu, green peas or edamame for extra protein.
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of these films, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.