This Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is full of flavour, seriously healthy and perfectly rich!
I experimented with various ways to make the soup creamy, including adding cooked white rice before blending. Although the texture was thick and velvety, it was also a little gloopy and cloying, so, unsurprisingly, that version didn’t make the cut. So, I returned to my trusty old friends, white beans, which when added to the soup and blended up create a seriously rich and creamy texture, and are so much less expensive than cashews.
Why you’ll love this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- it’s rich and creamy
- it’s luxuriously smooth
- it’s full of mushroom flavour
- it’s nutritious and healthy
- it’s easy to make
- it comes together in one pot
- it’s easy to make in big batches
- it’s gluten-free!
How to make this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
Fry the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms for around 10 minutes.
- Add the porcini mushrooms, almond milk, white beans, stock cube, salt + pepper and water.
Tip: Use a measuring jug to measure out the almond milk and water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes.
- Whizz until completely smooth.
Tip: Add more water to thin out if necessary.
- Serve into bowls and enjoy!
How long does this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup keep for?
This Mushroom Soup keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days and freezes well. Reheat in a pot on the hob (stove) until piping hot – add a splash of water if necessary.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can use any type of mushrooms: I used chestnut/button mushrooms but you can use any type
- you can omit the porcini mushrooms if you can’t find them/don’t like strong mushroom flavours, but they do add so much flavour in my opinion
- you can substitute the almond milk with cashew milk
- for a nut-free version, substitute the almond milk with oat milk!
More vegan soup recipes:
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup
- Pea Zucchini Mint Soup
- Miso Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick , sliced
- 300 g mushrooms , sliced (use any type of mushrooms you like!)
- 7 g dried porcini mushrooms - soaked, rinsed and finely chopped (optional)
- 230 ml unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened oat milk for a nut-free version)
- 400 g tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the porcini mushrooms, almond milk, white beans, stock cube and salt + pepper, along with 300ml (1 1/4 cups) water
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender (or use a hand-held stick blender) to whizz until completely smooth - add more water to thin out if necessary
- Serve into bowls and scatter over chopped parsley, if desired
- Leftovers keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days and also freeze well - reheat in a pot on the hob (stove) until piping hot - add a splash of water if necessary
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.