This Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is full of flavour, seriously healthy and perfectly rich!
I experimented with various ways to make the soup creamy, including adding cooked white rice before blending. Although the texture was thick and velvety, it was also a little gloopy and cloying, so, unsurprisingly, that version didn’t make the cut. So, I returned to my trusty old friends, white beans, which when added to the soup and blended up create a seriously rich and creamy texture, and are so much less expensive than cashews.
Why you’ll love this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- it’s rich and creamy
- it’s luxuriously smooth
- it’s full of mushroom flavour
- it’s nutritious and healthy
- it’s easy to make
- it comes together in one pot
- it’s easy to make in big batches
- it’s gluten-free!
How to make this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Fry the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms for around 10 minutes.
- Add the porcini mushrooms, almond milk, white beans, stock cube, salt + pepper and water.
Tip: Use a measuring jug to measure out the almond milk and water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes.
- Whizz until completely smooth.
Tip: Add more water to thin out if necessary.
- Serve into bowls and enjoy!
How long does this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup keep for?
This Mushroom Soup keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days and freezes well. Reheat in a pot on the hob (stove) until piping hot – add a splash of water if necessary.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can use any type of mushrooms: I used chestnut/button mushrooms but you can use any type
- you can omit the porcini mushrooms if you can’t find them/don’t like strong mushroom flavours, but they do add so much flavour in my opinion
- you can substitute the almond milk with cashew milk
- for a nut-free version, substitute the almond milk with oat milk!
More vegan soup recipes:
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup
- Pea Zucchini Mint Soup
- Miso Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick , sliced
- 300 g (10.5 oz) mushrooms , sliced (use any type of mushrooms you like!)
- 7 g (0.25 oz) dried porcini mushrooms - soaked, rinsed and finely chopped (optional)
- 230 ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened oat milk for a nut-free version)
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the porcini mushrooms, almond milk, white beans, stock cube and salt + pepper, along with 300ml (1 1/4 cups) water
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender (or use a hand-held stick blender) to whizz until completely smooth - add more water to thin out if necessary
- Serve into bowls and scatter over chopped parsley, if desired
- Leftovers keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days and also freeze well - reheat in a pot on the hob (stove) until piping hot - add a splash of water if necessary
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.