This Creamy Vegan Miso Pasta Sauce is rich, flavourful, luxuriously creamy and super easy to make. The umami-rich sauce paired with meaty mushrooms makes the best plant-based dinner! It’s easily customisable and can be adapted to whatever vegetables you have on hand, is gluten-free and nut-free optional, and is ready in 25 minutes! Perfect for a healthy dinner!
Miso is a Japanese seasoning made from fermented soybeans and has a rich, salty flavour. It’s a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, and contains plenty of friendly probiotics.
In traditional Japanese cuisine, it’s used in sauces, dips, spreads, soups and stocks, but it also works in many other dishes like this pasta sauce!
Miso sometimes contains gluten, so make sure to use gluten-free miso if you’re gluten-free.
You can buy miso in most supermarkets, local health stores, Asian supermarkets or online.
How to make this recipe
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Cook the garlic and mushrooms in a frying pan.
- Add the plant-based milk, miso and salt.
- Add the cooked pasta.
- Mix well.
- Add extra vegetables if you like!
Substitutions you can make
- You can use either unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened cashew milk.
- For a nut-free version, you can use unsweetened oat milk or soy milk (though soy milk will have a stronger flavour).
- You can use any type of mushrooms – I used shiitake mushrooms as I love their rich flavour, but any type will do.
What pasta to use
- You can use any type of pasta – I used brown rice spaghetti.
- You can make it grain-free or paleo by using pea pasta, red lentil pasta or edamame noodles.
Extra ingredients you can add
- Extra vegetables.
- Tofu, green peas or edamame for extra protein.
More creamy vegan pasta recipes
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Watch how to make this
Creamy Vegan Miso Pasta Sauce (GF)
- 200 g (7 oz) pasta (gluten-free if necessary – I used brown rice spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or sub coconut, olive or rapeseed oil)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 100 g (3.5 oz) shiitake mushrooms , roughly chopped (or any other mushrooms)
- 230 ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or unsweetened cashew milk or oat milk for a nut-free version)
- 2 heaped teaspoons miso (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch salt to taste
- Boil the pasta according to instructions on packet.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the garlic and mushrooms once the oil is hot – cook for around 7 minutes until softened.
- Add the almond milk, miso and salt.
- Drain the pasta once cooked and add to the frying pan.
- Mix well and add more almond milk if it's looking too dry. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Enjoy immediately!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.